Notifications
Clear all

New years resolutions.....

37 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I was talking to a girl in the office about it not long ago actually, and apparently there's different combinations of keys and things for the same note depending on the key, or some such... sounds too much like a memory test for me I think. Synths for the win, yay! :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Mine for 2006 was that I wanted to play more guitar, or was that 2005? It might even have been 2004, I can't remember. It's working, though.

Anyways, for 2007 I want to finish my Grades - I have just got a Merit at Classical Guitar Grade 6 and I want to have 7 and 8 out of the way by the end of 2007.

Then, I want to spend more time at home. My normal working day requires me to leave home at 7:30 in the morning and get home at 8:00 at night five days a week; then I teach on Saturdays. Last Tuesday I had to leave home at 6:00 in the morning to get the 8:00 Eurostar to Paris for a four-hour business meeting, and I got home at 11:00 that night - insanity. My whole industry's like this, it's getting worse, and I've had it with the game.

That's it, I think.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I was talking to a girl in the office about it not long ago actually, and apparently there's different combinations of keys and things for the same note depending on the key, or some such... sounds too much like a memory test for me I think. Synths for the win, yay! :wink:

True enough, there's different key combinations - some related to the octave you're looking for, and some which are just alternative fingerings but there's not really all that many. It looks like a plumbers nightmare at first, but it still uses the same 12 notes per octave, and they're all in there somewhere.... :P

Mind you, I've got other musical instruments with a lot more choices. I've got one that has no less than 138 different positions than you can play a note on - plus you can be asked to play anything from a single note to as many as six of them at the same time. Imagine trying to remember how all that works..... :shock: :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

That explains the tagline then? :wink:

One day I'm going to build myself a theramin - that'll learn them pesky instruments with ridiculous amounts of things to pull, push, poke, pluck and pick! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

That explains the tagline then? :wink:

:D :D

Actually - probably you spotted this - but I was referring to a guitar. :wink:

23 positions on each string of my strat style electric (22 frets + open). So, 138 positions to play with, and lots of chords of up to six notes each. Compared to a sax the guitar has a mind boggling number of possible permutations and combinations. :?

I admit I had to look up exactly what a theremin was, and found this great pic (at Wikipedia) of the inventor playing one. No touching required apparently.

Hope you've got the suit ready.... :D

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Aye, the only instrument in the world you play without touching. Proximity of your hand to one antenna controls pitch, and the other volume. Simple to explain, probably not so simple to play :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Mine for 2006 was that I wanted to play more guitar, or was that 2005? It might even have been 2004, I can't remember. It's working, though.

Anyways, for 2007 I want to finish my Grades - I have just got a Merit at Classical Guitar Grade 6 and I want to have 7 and 8 out of the way by the end of 2007.

Then, I want to spend more time at home. My normal working day requires me to leave home at 7:30 in the morning and get home at 8:00 at night five days a week; then I teach on Saturdays. Last Tuesday I had to leave home at 6:00 in the morning to get the 8:00 Eurostar to Paris for a four-hour business meeting, and I got home at 11:00 that night - insanity. My whole industry's like this, it's getting worse, and I've had it with the game.

That's it, I think.

Best,

A :-)

Good lord...my family complains that I don't spend enough time with them...I don't know how you do it Mr. Green....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3