Opinion on Gibson LP studio

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So I noticed a local listing for a Gibson LP Studio, $850 for the guitar, hard case, and a glass slide. It's rather spendy for me but I've been thinking about it because it's local and I prefer to check out stuff like this in person before I buy it. Any thoughts on the price or the guitar itself? If it looks good in person should I go for it?

Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Also, if I go and take a look at this guitar, is there anything specific to LPs that I should check out condition wise?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i think you can do better, but if it's mint then it might be a pretty good deal.
i say check it out since it's local

if it has flaws check here, there are usually quite a few in that price range or better.
http://search.ebay.com/gibson-les-paul-studio_W0QQfromZR41

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

From what I've learned recently about LP guitars is that you are getting great electronics on the studio without a lot of fancy cosmetics. So the tones should be pleasing as long as you know what you are going to hear before hand.

From there you get into special studio versions or jump up to standards.

The studio's (new) are selling for 1195 USD on MF. They can go up to the mid 1500's but then you are adding on cosmetic enhancements. Such as body bindings or AA/AAA tops or even neck bindings.

Jump up to a standard and now you have a lot more cosmetic changes as well and internal body changes but I doubt you'll find much different tonal qualities but again it depends on the pups. The Standards I believe are coming with Burstbuckers as opposed to humbuckers. Not sure I could tell the difference with the ear but the electronics are far different jumping up to Standards and above.

I personally think a good condition studio for under $1000 is a good deal.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Alright, so I'm getting the impression that if it's in good condition it's worth the money, and if it's not I'll pass. Something to keep in mind about the ebay prices though, they typically tack on $50-100 for shipping and you don't get to check it out in person, which I'm really into doing for anything used.

Emailed the guy about it, going to go check it out. 8)

thanks,
Chris

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Well, hmmmmmmm....

Let's do some math.

Guitar $ 850 sight unseen - so to speak
shipping 75 for whatever reason

almost 950 and maybe it will be.

New 1195
used - 950

200 for piece of mind, choice if finish, guarantee of no hassle return. Full warranty and completely untouched.

I'd buy new, myself.

But if you can see it and not pay shipping, that would be worth checking out. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I gotta go with Bish on this one. I've never seen any sense in paying only 10-20% less for something used. Sadly, though, is that the used one probably has a better chance of being set-up properly. :?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i totally agree that new is preferable to used.
i know i would have a real hard time paying only $200 less for something and not having a secure safety net.
unless of course i could actually play it first and avoid shipping, or if it was from people i trust or a business with a good
return policy and had been around for awhile.
there were several studios on ebay a while back in the $600-$700 range that would probably be worth it to someone like me to fix up or upgrade. undoubtably they had issues or the price wouldn't be that low but now we're talking about a $300- $400 diff and the line starts getting pretty muddy.
myself, i would most likely opt for a nice new Epi LP Prophecy GX
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-CustomGX-with-Dirty-Fingers-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515617 or a nice higher level Agile.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Looks like I won't have to think about it anymore, another buyer got to it first. :x Thanks for the help though guys.

ReplyQuote