Clear all

Ordering an Axe from Canada Eh!

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Any of you Canucks that have ordered a guitar from the US of A . I was wondering what if any additional charges you might have incurred such as duties etc. All this talk about Oscar Schmidt 0E 30's and Rondo Agiles has got me thinking Hmmm!! Would hate to order a guitar only to find that the price was considerably more once it arrived.
Robbie

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

At the very least GST and PST (depending on province). Both the guitars I bought were American made, so I'm not sure of import duties on guitars made outside of NAFTA. Also UPS can charge brokerage fees :twisted:

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have bought a number of things from Canada and have sold a few things to Canadians.
I never paid any additional charges buying from Canada but Canadians are charged when buying from the US.
I may be wrong and you should check for yourself but import charges seem to be a one way street.

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

You will be charged some extra taxes from customs when shipped into Canada. Usually with the shipping and customs the product may seem cheaper on the internet, but things add up and through my experience usually ends costing more if you were just going to buy it from a local music shop. Unless the product you are looking for is not available in Canada.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

What makes it really annoying is that the lack of volume means the Canadian stores have been very slow in posting sub $1000 guitars. With four major stores in Toronto you'd end up spending more time travelling between them than practicing. I could probably have found both out of production guitars up here with a lot of patience. But it would be hit or miss.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx guys
Was expecting PST and GST, however didn't know about UPS brokerage fees and duty. So Primeta you were saying that your guitars were made in the states so I assume no duty due to NAFTA right? If that is the case then i'll have to find out where Oscar Schmidts are manufactured. This pretty well leaves Rondo Agiles off my shopping list due to country of origin.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I finally found one of the UPS invoices. There is a heading for brokerage fee, but I wasn't charged it. I do know I was hit by such fees for something, so it's probably best to ask.
As for the duty, I can't find anything one way or the other at the moment. My Taiwanese delay pedal came via aunt express :wink: , so that's no help. I have to straigthen out my files anyways, so I'll keep my eyes open.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

Thanx guys
Was expecting PST and GST, however didn't know about UPS brokerage fees and duty. So Primeta you were saying that your guitars were made in the states so I assume no duty due to NAFTA right? If that is the case then i'll have to find out where Oscar Schmidts are manufactured. This pretty well leaves Rondo Agiles off my shopping list due to country of origin.
Robbie

The NAFTA is not the case for this. I'm not sure exactly what the terms are for non-commercial purchasing from the US, but you will be taxed when buying something from the US. Doesn't matter where it's made as long as it's sent by a commercial seller in the US. The only time it's not taxed if the package is a "gift by mail".

A little info from the Canadian Customs website: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/postal/ind_dutiable-e.html

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Canadian duties honestly kills most online deals from america. that being said....there is a way to avoid ALL fees from UPS except for tax:

1. When the package is sent from the US, be sure to get the UPS tracking number right away.
2. BEFORE the package gets to the border (it's best to do this immediately when you get the tracking #), call up the UPS toll-free number and tell them you will broker the package through customs yourself. The person on the phone will give you the address where you need to go to get the documentation.
3. You go to the UPS office, pick up the docs and take them a few blocks to the Canada Customs office, where you pay the tax and they stamp your form. Then you go over to the UPS depot which is just around the corner, and pick up your parcel. The whole thing will take you < 30min.

This method can be very inconvenient though (let's say your package ends up in windsor for you to clear... :? ), so use FedEx or if that isn't possible, UPS expedited or express. If you get them to mark it as a gift you won't have to pay duties either but there is a dollar limit on this and UPS finds a way to shaft you here as well. I can't stress how bad UPS is.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for all the info everyone. I think I will wait till my next visit to the USA and bring back any bargain to be had as part of my duty free exemption or have it sent to friends across the line who are friends and could leave it at my place as a token of their appreciation (if you get my drift). Jason, trouble with living in the country is that my nearest customs office is 90 miles away.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

After reading this, I really hope a store around here has a Flying V Goth, or this could get really expensive. Anyone know some online Canadian guitar stores?

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

A tip from a Brit.

If you're after a Larrivee guitar, buy one direct from Canada.

I paid 1100 can$ for mine. At 2.5 can$ to £ that £440. List price over here was over £900!!!

Yes you pay import tax, but you'll still be quids in.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

yea i've looked at european guitar prices and they're absurd.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I bought a Larrivee from the US, but it was manufactured in Canada. I paid only GST, no other fees. It was shipped USPS and Canada post delieved it to the door - Florida to Nova Scotia, $40.25 for shipping, if I am not mistaken.

About the canadian online stores - there is a sad lack of online canadian stores. Whenever I want a specialty item, I order from the US and pay the duties.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote