Clear all

P-93 Sample Ready & Final Thoughts

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is the result of everything in this thread, which evolved from a thread on GAS to a HNGD thread and completed with a lengthy review. https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50957 I figured I'd make a new one as that one had gotten big and wordy and quite simply stated, this sample would get lost. You can find my lengthy reviews towards the end of that thread.

This new thread also ties in another on pickup pole positions. https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51028

OK, the sound clip.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10633110
Total length is 2:15. I did everything from the mid position on my toggle and just had one volume knob on at a time. They were each turned up to 7 when it was time. Three bits or passages, each in bridge - middle - neck order. A little riff starts us off followed by a simple D-A-G chord progression and ended with a short walk down using barred minor-7th chords. The walkdowns started at Dm7 and ended with an arpeggio on Bm7. Clean patch with only a bit of "natural" pre-amp gain and a bit of reverb. All done through digital means. An amp would hurt today.

No pics. Very dull day today and any lights would send me back into the migraine I just got out of an hour ago. Here's the product page. Mine is very much like this one. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Riviera-Custom-P93-Electric-Guitar?sku=516284 No false advertising with their photos. I got what I ordered, so to speak.

My final thoughts on this guitar:
Ultra high marks for beauty. It's actually why I bought it to begin with.

Medium marks for all the monkeying I had to do to get this thing set up just right and sounding like it does.

It has taken a good bit of time to get the tonal and playability aspects going, but they are going well now. This one took more time to get used to than my huge Gretsch did. Part of it is because of my playing style. I tend to dig deep and hard. This three pickup system doesn't let me do that. No room or space. I'm having to use more touch. Easy enough on lead style, but getting into an active rhythm requires lighter touch and a slightly different strum placement than I am used to. The lighter touch is needed, though, because this thing is sensitive. Even on 2 or 3.

The whole bit with the size of the guitar - a 335 size - and the upper strap button placement leaves me at an awkward angle I'm still working out. It's actually taken a bit of playing to get used to. The Gretsch's thicker body was easier than this one for whatever reason. Having had it for a week now, I am getting more and more used to it.

Finally, the build. It is not a delicate instrument. Not like what I thought I would be getting. It's got some beef to it. It was a very nice surprise. Everything else is hanging in there. The Bigsby works fairly well and, like the Gretsch I have, doesn't go out of tune unless you really pounce on it. It's a vibrato system, though, so no pouncing. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sounds good Roy! Have you tried her with any dirt? It does have a solid center block doesn't it. You would be suprised. My Delta King would scream. As far as the strap button goes, is it one of the ones on the back of the neck heel? My Delta King was one of the ones with it on the horn, they came in both depending on year of manufacture. For the button to go on the horn they must have to put a block in there or something. My SG has the button on the back side. I'm not overly a fan of that myself but I live with it. My BC Rich Mockingbird is like that but the button is on the back of the body. It sounds like you are enjoying her anyhow. Congrats!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Have you tried her with any dirt?
Yes. It takes only a touch of dirt to really get going. The sustain or rate of decay is most favorable for lead play. Power chords as well, but does get limited. I tried it out using some fuzz on a Marshall, a Blues Driver on a Fender Twin and a patch with a Keith Richards style blend of Vox and Fender. Most of these tests were good. The dirtier the tone, the better it was for the bridge and to some extent, the middle. I like the neck position for the cleaner lead tones which is the bulk of my playing. The was too much ooomph coming out of this for the Robin Trower "Bridge if Sighs" patch for it to sound decent. Still exploring, but I think it's niche is going to be either jazzy chords/lead or lead Rock & Blues.
It does have a solid center block doesn't it.
To the best I can tell, yes. Solid block center.
As far as the strap button goes, is it one of the ones on the back of the neck heel?
Indeed it is. I don't care for that, but all my others have them on the horn. I'm sure it's a matter of getting used to it. I shortened the strap a great deal to help me keep the right balance, angle and height for the neck. I'm beginning to get the feel for it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote