Clear all

Plenty to Lose

523 Posts
57 Users
0 Likes
80.4 K Views
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Since my bike got stolen over nine months ago I've been walking all over town and I can recomment it to everyone. Walking somewhere gives me time to think, it's refreshing because you're outside, you're burning energy and will feel a lot more 'healthy' overall. So next time you park your car somewhere, leave the door open.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've put nearly a stone on since I gave up smoking...and I feel better for it - I've always been on the skinny side, now I've actually got biceps.....

Cracked up laughing when I read Arjen's suggestion - good job he put the disclaimer in his signature! I'm like that though, I walk everywhere...although sometimes we get a taxi back from shopping....believe it or not, it's easier and cheaper than the bus!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am going to start doing fasts to increase my devoteeship to my god , and which in turn will
also help in dieting and losing weight. :D

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Rahul, by all means fast, on religious grounds, but NEVER to lose weight - it doesn't work. You create a yoyo effect, where you diet, lose weight, stop dieting, gain weight, start diet, lose weight, etc., etc..
The only way to lose weight and keep it off is a permanent change of life style - that means Butter Chicken only once a week!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Ahh greybeard , i am a strict , pure , veggie by all means.

What i actually need to reduce are my obscure eating habits.(like eating on an impulse a whole packet of biscuits with cream :oops:)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

greybeard wrote: and the more I do it the more weight I gain

Don't get hung up on the scale as it can sabotage your motivation. You may be replacing fat with muscle, which weighs way more (I've heard 3X more).

If you/I/we truly eat healthily and exercise, your health will improve. Your clothes will get looser, you will have more energy, be less prone to injury, illness and disease. I'm sure you know all this.

Just eliminate the weigh-ins for a while and down the road you'll be pleasantly surprised when you do hop on the scale. :D

Margaret

this is very true.
in my case since i have been riding my exersize bike my weight has stayed the same, but now my pants are too big!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Vic Lewis wrote: I walk everywhere...although sometimes we get a taxi back from shopping....believe it or not, it's easier and cheaper than the bus!

You would think that those of us who live in more rural settings should be getting MORE exercise by walking than those in cities, but it usually isn't true. I live in a small town with no mass transit.... we have two or three taxis shared between a couple of nearby towns. Things are spread out---it's the sprawl problem--and some neighborhoods don't even have sidewalks. Fortunately, some cities are waking up and starting to look at limiting sprawl and encouraging eco-friendly transportation, which results in healthier lifestyles (more exercise) not to mention less pollution.

Not to get too far off topic, but I participated in a sustainability study group based on The Natural Step, being employed in Sweden and growing elsewhere. Interesting stuff and actually related to our topic of "Plenty to Lose," since it's our overconsumptive lifestyles that have brought us to this thread.

BTW, isn't stealing someone's bicycle just the lowest of the low??? :evil:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Weight gained is never totally lost: fat clusters togethers in tiny bits that can grow and shrink, but once they are there they'll never vanish completely. Which is why people who go on crash diets usually end up fatter: the fat parts shrink initially until you reach the point where your body can't compensate the lack of food with it's internal supply so you start eating a lot again. This doesn't just 'regrow' the fat parts but also creates new ones, effectively increasing your 'ideal weight'.

Nick sums it up nicely, it's just about common sense for most of us. Get some basic excercise and don't eat four hamburgers in a row and you're well on your way (weird metabolism problems excluded). Loosing weight is kinda like learning to play guitar: the fast way is usually the wrong way. :)
BTW, isn't stealing someone's bicycle just the lowest of the low???

It's common practice over here, Groningen is bicycle-theft-city #1 in Holland. Junks steal them in broad daylight and sell them to students for $5 so they can get some crack. Then they steal them back and sell it to someone else. It's as stupid as it gets.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Arjen wrote: Weight gained is never totally lost: fat clusters togethers in tiny bits that can grow and shrink, but once they are there they'll never vanish completely
No, no, no. we do not talk like that here! Cover your eyes, everyone!

Now you have to redeem yourself, Arjen, so come back and say something encouraging! :lol:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I think that only applies to the Dutch, Margaret. :D I was a little disapppointed today. I made a point to walk the past few days.. Ate regular portioned means and I still gained three pounds. :( I'll be alright but darn if it doesnt get discouraging.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Geoo, don't be discouraged---maybe it's PMS! (hehehe) The scale is not your friend. It is the devil. Put it away and don't weigh yourself for a month.

For those who consistently drop multiple pounds per week, the scale can be encouraging. But for many of us, it only serves to put thoughts in our heads of "this isn't working, might as well give up." Saboteur!

Continue to do the right things like you are, logging your food intake, making healthy choices and walking. Don't forget to drink lots of water--it helps control the appetite.

There are many other ways to measure our progress than checking the scale. My progress report for now is, "I am working at a higher intensity on the treadmill than I ever thought I could (walking, not running!), and that feels really good."

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Joke - If someone steals you bike in front of you , you can lose a LOT of weight by chasing him till he or you gives up. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Geoo: Ignore the numbers. Spend one months changing your lifestyle and then just ask yourself how you feel. I'm willing to bet that if you do that you'll notice you're a lot more fit and energetic, the actual dropping of weight is a slow process that depends on many things. For example, as noted before, if you start to excercise you will get stronger, not fatter. The scale doesn't know the difference but your body does.

Margaret: I'm not good at encouraging, sorry. :D

Rahul: for situations like that mankind developed gunpowder... ;)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I lost an amazing 4.2 lbs last week

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Nick wrote: I lost an amazing 4.2 lbs last week
Wow! That's really something, Nick. :!: Congrats!

Margaret

ReplyQuote
Page 12 / 35