Clear all

Plenty to Lose

523 Posts
57 Users
0 Likes
80.4 K Views
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep, the ghost page still haunts this thread.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Hey Margaret,

Want to echo your thoughts on the turnip. Here at home we have them roasted quite a bit. Our "roasted root vegatable" melange:

Get together a casserole dish full of bite size bits of (mixed and matched according to your cravings):

Potato
Sweet Potato
Carrot
Turnip
Parsnip (by the way, shavings of parsnip are great to perk up a salad!)
whole cloves of Garlic
Fennel

Toss everything with either:

1) just a bit of Olive oil and salt, pepper, herbs to taste

2) a combo of Harrisa (Morocco hot paste), vinegar and caraway seeds

Cover and bake at 450 for forty minutes.

Bon appetit!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Wow, that looks like a great new recipe to try, David! Thanks for that.

My mom said that her mom used to make some mixture of potatoes, turnips, and I forgot what else, boil them (I think) and then mash them all together. A German dish, kind of like mashed potatoes, I believe. I'll have to ask her again what all was in it.

Torn rotator cuff, Slej? Sorry to hear that. Could interfere with guitaring for a good while, too. :( First KP chops his leg up to get out of exercising, and now you pull this. tsk tsk :P

Forgetting meals, OWA?! :shock: I've still got some excess baggage that I could send ya. :twisted: Eat up!

In the interest of full disclosure, I guess I should say that my driver's license weight matches my weight as measured on my own scales at home. HATE those damn doctor's office scales that are just too blasted accurate for anybody's good ..... :evil: :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I need to figure out a good recipe for dandelion roots. My yard's full of them!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I need to figure out a good recipe for dandelion roots. My yard's full of them!

Dandelion Root Coffee! :)

Plenty of recipes for it on the net. Here's one of many:

Dandelion Coffee

I remember trying it when I was a kid, and the result was pretty awful, but who knows - I might like it now. :wink:

The real potential benefit you've got there Ric is all the exercise you can get digging them out. :P I had a massive infestation of something similar (somewhere between ten and twenty thousand of them!). I tackled a few square metres per day and removed the lot. The ones I had weren't a true Dandelion though. Just one of many plants that get known locally by that name. So not suitable for coffee - although they did make great compost.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's cool!

Long ago I read Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine. Never have made any.

Little Zelly the baby tortoise eats dandelions, but she can't make a noticeable dent at this point. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, bit by bit I'm shedding off some pounds. I've got to figure out what my wife did with my leather punch set or get another so I can punch some holes in my belts. (Or break down and buy some new ones, but dagnabbit, I'm cheap!) I've got a couple of old homemade "skinny" belts that still fit, and my waistbands are getting a bit puckery. I've still got a long way to go, though!

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

My problem is that I'm a really good cook, and it's only me and my wife. She forbids me to make any kind of dessert. I worked in bakeries for nearly 10 years before I got my degree in food and nutrition science. Believe me, I make GREAT desserts. My dog Shadow, may he rest in peace and be waiting for me in the great beyond, used to eat so much creme brule that he could smell it in his sleep and wake up when I walked in the room "Is that creme brule?" Also, I have a smoker/cooker and live in a forest and have enough wood to cook on the grill for a year. And, my wife is a pretty good cook herself. AND, my mother-in-law who lives with us is from Italy (she made Saples this weekend, batter-dipped zuchinni flowers that are fried in olive oil).

So anyway, I'm holding it under 190 (I'm 6'), but I'd like to get down between 175-180. IT'S ROUGH!
And to add to it all, my dogs are even overweight. They're on light food and light biscuits, and are trimming down slowly.

The paradox. I could get up over 250 with in 6 months with no effort, yet loosing a fraction of that gain is nearly impossible. I eat healthy choice lunches and never drink soft drinks. IT'S ROUGH!

Oh well, back to work.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Down 15 lbs from "the peak" as of this morning!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Down 15 lbs from "the peak" as of this morning!
Congrats, Slej! It's a good feeling, isn't it?

I'm still inching downward, ever so slowly, but I'm not overly concerned about losing a lot more anyway. I feel so much better now than I did 50+ pounds ago.

I even squeezed out an "Impressive!" from my normally deadpan doctor. :D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Well guys, I'm about to head off to Puerto Vallarta to celebrate my 18th anniversary with my wife (which also happens to be 20 years since I asked her to marry me).

As of this morning, I'm down to 240 even from a high weight of 273!

I still want to get down to 215 -- which would put me at the same weight I got out of the Army at. But I'm fully confident that I can get there.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm down about 43 lbs from peak. Got a way to go. Fitting into smaller clothes, the old ones won't stay on. And Zelly the tortoise is now Bowser. Thought to be male, not female as originally thought. He's loudly digging into a corner behind a wicker basket beside my computer desk. I think he's really digging a hole.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congrats to a couple more losers, Kingpatzer and Ricochet!

Someday we should total up how many pounds we've all lost together.

Have a great trip, KP! Better use extra sunscreen on the axe scar..... :P

Sorry, Ric, but I just can't make the switch from Zelly to Bowser..... :roll:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, Ric, but I just can't make the switch from Zelly to Bowser..... :roll: You think YOU'VE got a hard time dealing with that?! Being told the gender of my grandbaby was being reassigned pretty well scrambled my brain! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And the old ghost page is back! :D

ReplyQuote
Page 32 / 35