Notifications
Clear all

Puzzled by this apparent bargain

31 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

That is crazy... buy a strat and get this acoustic for free???

I've heard nothing but BAD stuff about Fender acoustic guitars. I don't know if people put them on a pedestal based on their electrics and were dissappointed, but guitar players I know wouldn't touch a fender acoustic.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Not having played one, how can you offer an enlightened opinion grasshopper?

and Dammit Alan, who asked you? :lol:

Okay, I gave it up for lent. Sheesh I had no idea this would be so hard.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

apparently Fender acoustics have had a bit of a PR problem over the years , but from what i've heard they are a lot better nowadays. i've had an 80s' era Fender classical that has been just fine but i guess that's another type altogether.

anyhoo i just came across this also,
An Epi DR-1S value package that includes a solid top, chromatic tuner, gig bag, picks, a strap, and an instructional dvd for $140
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=518060

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

So are you getting one Lefty?

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Jason~ now i need to try out the epi also, i guess i'll check them both out this weekend.
even tho the price is right, there's a chance i won't get either if i don't like something about them.
i'm saving for an american tele or a tele kit.

i just have a hard time passing up a bargain like that when MF is soooo close.

MF owes me a favor for a recent problem with their new parent companys' (GC) accounting dept.
i had to jump thru a few hoops to straighten out some credit snafu. maybe i can get them t sweeten the deal.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Let us know what you think of both of them.

I got the "go ahead" from the boss, so I ordered one. Too good of a deal and my AJ-1 has developed some problems recently. Only reasons I need (to her anyway, I don't need a reason). :lol:

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

You go Crank!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Nick, you can buy the guitar for me and I'll sell it to you (for the same price, naturally) after Lent, how's that?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i understand the Ensenada series is nice. all hard woods, made in mexico.

they look splendid too

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

So Twisted, did you try them out? Curious as to your findings.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nasty weather here this weekend.

Heavy storms with softball size hail and tornados.
when i was able to finally get down to MF they were closed because of widespread power outages. hopefully i will be able to get down there again this week or maybe this next weekend.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Welp, mine came in today.

I had a HUGE scare though. The Fedex guy comes up to my door holding the two boxes (I ordered a case as well) and they are literally falling apart from being soaking wet! My first words were "what the hell?" Looks like they were sitting on their sides and the box got wet. It has rained for days here and which is all the Fedex guy said "Guess they got wet on the truck. If they are messed up we'll pick them back up tomorrow" an then he walked off while I was standing there in shock mumbling that it was an acoustic guitar.

So anyway, I pull the box apart with no effort and find that both case and guitar aren't even damp thanks to the plastic they were wrapped in. I was still upset, but at least the guitar and case seemed to make it without any damage. I would have liked to save the box though, but oh well.

The DG22S Bubinga is an absolutely beautiful guitar!!! The pictures online don't do it justice! I'll get some up within the next day or two. I didin't have much time as I had to get back to work, but I tuned it up and strummed a few chords. Sounds wonderful.

I do believe that was the best $169 I've spent in a long time. TwistedLefty, thanks for pointing out the deal!!!

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I hate Fed Ex. It's probably the worst company I've ever dealt with. I live in a rural area that don't have addresses, just P.O. Boxes. In the last 15 years I would say that Fed Ex had about a 30% success rate with actually getting the package delivered on time. And they have directions to my house! UPS - 80% and USPS - 99.9%.

Last week I ordered some stuff from MF and I was in a hurry so I went with 2 day delivery. It took a week.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Neztok, this is the first time I've had problems with a delivery. It just annoyed the heck out of me that he basically handed me the boxes and left. Didn't give me much of a chance to deny delivery, which I believe is much better than trying to sort out damaged goods after the fact.

I look forward to getting new gear so when it arrived in a wet, falling apart box I about flipped out.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread TL. Just wanted to let you know that so far the Fender seems like a most excellent guitar.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Jason~ glad you are happy with your purchase,

i finally got down to MF again but they had no DG22S's or DR-1S's displayed.
it seems they are getting ready to do a massive remodeling as much of the store was cleared out with barriers and all the returned stuff is jammed together.

their policy is they will bring stuff out from the warehouse if you are going to buy it, but not just for you to check out.
normally this isn't a problem because they try to have most of what they stock displayed (it's a big place).

the manager that usually takes care of me wasn't working this weekend so i'll wait till next month and give them a chance to get the display areas redone.

i did pick up a digitech bad monkey and a new slide tho :oops: (when is lent going to end?????)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3