Skip to content
Question/Debate on ...

Notifications
Clear all

Question/Debate on the End of the Movie Crossroads...

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@thedeem0n)
Topic starter  

I'm by no means like a Newbie or anything like that...I've been playing guitar since I was 4 Years old (& I'm Almost 20 right now...My father had been playing for 22 Years when I was born & He was 30 years old..) I actually did learn this solo from the end of the "Head-Cutting" dual & It's Nicolio Paganini's Caprice No. 5 @ a rougly 135-160 alternating tempo (i think...I don't really *Read* music...) & It was recorded by Steve Vai, the rest of Eugene's Competition was played by Ry Cooder (I Heard Stevie Ray Vaughan a few times...but there's no way...no one could EVER match SRV's Tone...my father's been trying since before he died, & spent Thousands of Dollars if Pursuit of that SRV Sound...& now one my Strat, I use 13 Guage Strings...)

Okay, now On to my Question/Debate...If you watch that scene, "Jack Butler" (Steve Vai) comes back at Eugene with the same solo/song, Starting from the part after where it's just Scale-after Scale-after Scale...& if you watch it, theoretically, it's AMAZING that he was able to get what he DID (it took me like 11 Months to be able to play that whole Solo, & I can't do it on Either of my Telecasters, I can get it on the Ernie Ball Music Man, because that has a 22 Fret neck, & the high-up frets are wider & more playable than on any of my fender guitars, or my father's Les Paul...) But if you watch the movie Vai/Butler is playing what Appears to be like a Kramer (now he uses Ibanez, but that was shot in 1984 or 86...) With a Floating Floyd Rose Bridge...Why not just crank the whammy bar backwards & flatten the floating bridge?!? Also... If he sold-his-soul to be a great guitar player...& He get's out-Played by just Some-Guy off the street...Does the Deal get void?? I donno, these are just questions about that "Devil went Down to Georgia (or in this case, Mississippi or Memphis or some "M" Place in the south...I'm from Boston Never lived no-place-else...)" scene in that movie...

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That solo would've been rehearsed to perfection....the bum notes would have been intentional....and it's a feel-good movie, so of course the nice guy has to win....possibly losing would void Butler's deal, but there could always have been a clause in his contract....

By the way, IT'S ONLY A FILM..... pure escapist hokum, just enjoy it as such and forget about tthe holes in the plot....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That solo would've been rehearsed to perfection.

It would also have been heavily edited - there may have been 30 or more minutes of tape, reduced to the few that are left in the film.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@thedeem0n)
Topic starter  

I have just that seen on a like AVI (Divx) or Mpeg file that I got off win mx & the essential time of that scene from where there standing @ the crossroads & Legbar/Scratch/the Devil says "
Scratch: How Bout Cuttin' Heads?!?...
Eugene: Ooh, you mean like some kind of contest...?
Scratch: You a Reeeeeal Smart Boy, I got this big White Fella From Memphis, Made a deal with me, few years back, Reeeal good guitar player, Name of Jack Butler; Cutts heads Every-Saturday-Night..."
then there's a little more Dialogue, & the sky behind Scratch/Legbar/Devil gets really dark grey & starts moving really fast & it kinda moces down from the sky to Steve Vai from like some time in the mid 80's playing what looks to be like a red Kramer or something...& looking at that guitar, it has the locking headstock, standard, Floyd Rose bridge that most of those Sharp-Headstock Strat-Based Humbucker Driven guitars have... Me, I'm 20 Years old, & because my father is such a Stratocaster Freak, I've never owned anything but either a Straight-Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster until very recently when I was old enough & made enough money to be able to buy my own guitars, & I Bought a Silver-Sparkle Squier JagMaster (which, DOES have a floating bridge, it not like a floyd rose, it's like a standard Strat bridge on Crack...., & I bought a Red Ernie Ball Music Man; Axis... & The Axis, it's easy to hit that note because All 22 Frets are very playable...they're a lot wider than one of my strats or Telecasters when you get up past the 17th fret, & I have pretty Big hands, & my Strat (not counting the 2 that my father owns with are both Non-Production guitars, one's an Early-90's Full ash body Strat with a hip-shot tremalo & all kinds of weird shit, & one is a 1st year of production Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan "Number-One" Signature strat, which is not in production the same way that they were when he bought that Ax in like '93 or '94) but my Early-90's Mexican Std. Strat has 13 guage strings on it (chasin after that "SRV" Tone....& Ripping wholes in my fingers cuz of it...) I Have 2 Telecasters 1 of which is an Original '69 Pink Paisley James Burton Telecaster, so that one stays in it's case a lot & one has a rough fret right now, so I need to file down the 1st few frets, raise the bridge & but lighter strings on it (always the 13's Chasing after that Tone...) & My '57 Les Paul Junior (Re-Issue) is Hard-Tail...

ReplyQuote
(@tfroberg)
Eminent Member

The Karate Kid out-playing Steve Vai? Come on - we all know the fix was in... :wink:

This space for rent

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Actually I've watched that movie so many times. I still think Eugene lost.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@slapdragon)

Didn't Jack Butler get pissed off after he lost and smashed his guitar over Scratch's head.

Then the karate weiner did some kung fu on him.

After that Screech aint going be doing his voodoo crap on any dumb guitar players for awhile.

Gawd that movie was soooooooooo tacky.

ReplyQuote