Clear all

Recommend me a new amp

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ah, the end of summer - my favourite time of year. a new exciting college year beckons and my bank account swells after a summer of all work and no fun.
as has become the custom, it is time to celebrate with some new guitar gear :-) and this year it's the turn of the amp.

so, here's what i need.
combo or head - not important (would almost prefer a head as it'll be mostly used as a practice/di recording amp for the time being)
hybrid or modelling amp as opposed to solid state
loud enough to use with a drummer and possibly to play small pub gigs without the aid of a pa
footswitchable dual channels (or more) with independant eq
effects loop - i use a looper pedal so a pre-dsp loop wont work for me
headphone out

budget: in or around 300 euro

so there you go - lets hear some suggestions :-)

This is my signature. Fear it.

(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member

I haven't tried alot of modeling amps but the one I have tried for direct recording is the Roland Cube series. I know their Cube 60 combo is loud enough to play with a drummer and I always get good things said about the tracks I record with my Micro Cube from guitarists who are devout tube amp guys. I don't know how you would feel about it's live sound but it's worth checking out.

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

I haven't tried alot of modeling amps but the one I have tried for direct recording is the Roland Cube series. I know their Cube 60 combo is loud enough to play with a drummer and I always get good things said about the tracks I record with my Micro Cube from guitarists who are devout tube amp guys. I don't know how you would feel about it's live sound but it's worth checking out.
How do you record from the Microcube? I've tried running a cable from the output socket of the amp to the laptop through a 1/4" conversion jack and recording through Audacity. The recording turned out to be very noisy. I wasn't sure if there was a problem with the process or the cable i was using.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member

Hi,
All I do is plug a 1/4" jack from the heaphone out to whatever recroding device I am using. It sounds like you need to troubleshoot. First the amp, simply plug in some head phones, if you don't hear the same noise then it is on to the conversion jack and then within the software. What kind of noise are you hearing? What kind of sound were you using on the amp? Was the amp set really loud? I could definately have the amp set too loud for my inputs in any of my recorders, maybe this was the problem?

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

Hi,
All I do is plug a 1/4" jack from the heaphone out to whatever recroding device I am using. It sounds like you need to troubleshoot. First the amp, simply plug in some head phones, if you don't hear the same noise then it is on to the conversion jack and then within the software. What kind of noise are you hearing? What kind of sound were you using on the amp? Was the amp set really loud? I could definately have the amp set too loud for my inputs in any of my recorders, maybe this was the problem?
:shock:
Totally baffled. For the past few days i've been playing with gain set very high and it recorded pefrectly now. In fact JC Clean sounded better recorded than through the amp. :D
Thanks

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote