Skip to content
Sony installing spy...

Notifications
Clear all

Sony installing spyware on your computer?

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I'm just continuously amazed at what Windows users are willing to tolerate.

I'm starting think that the hackers ARE mac/linux users. Trying to get us to join "the other side".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

As someone just a few certs shy of an MCSE I can tell you that this is the grand scheme of things. Brother bill is allowing this because his company invented it, or at least the idea behind it. Just do a search for "trust worthy computing". I sure you will find somewhere in the legal mumbo jumbo that this software assure against piracy or something along those lines.

I do believe I read somewhere that Linus T. said he would support "trust worthy computing" as well. However, Linux is open source so you can be sure that a lot of distro's will have that crap stripped out of the kernel.

When most of the software that I use gets ported to Nix I will move over to that platform and most likely never look back. Wait till Vista rolls out, everyone will know your business.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Can anyone say boycott? :x

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just came across something to remove rootkits if anybody has used Sony's DRM recently.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm just continuously amazed at what Windows users are willing to tolerate.

I'm getting less tolerant by the day... :evil:

I think the attraction of Windows based PCs has always been the relative cheapness, and the ready availability of competing components for tweaks and upgrades. Plus of course, the ready availability of a big range of software at...cough... somewhat reduced rates...

I've been buying computers for 20 years, and assembling my own for over 10, so I've always liked messing around with the things. In fact, the machine I use now has one side of the case permanent left off for easy access.

But now that my games obssession has waned, the major excuse for running Windows has diminished. It could be time for a Mac! :D

Could any Mac users please tell us what the security situation is?

I believe that they get less viruses and general attacks, but are not immune from them either. So what is the availability and reliability of Firewalls, AV software and so on like?

Any tips from mac lovers please?

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

There are plenty of firewalls for the mac, but it's harder to find a free one. For AV software Apple has one called Garageband that comes with iLife that just rocks my socks off. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

OS X comes with built-in firewall software, which is what most people use who use a software firewall. It's secure and sufficient for home use for most people.

Macs are much less prone to viruses and spyware and such. There ARE viruses out there for the Mac but they're very, very rare and I can virtually promise you that you won't get one. I've been using Macs for 10 years, have never had any virus detection software and have never had a single virus. I've never personally known anyone else who uses a Mac who has ever had a virus, and the few viruses I have heard about were very benign. As rare as viruses are, spyware is even more rare. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with it.

Check out www.securemac.com. They have lots of articles and information on security for OS X, links to additional firewall software, etc. Some of the articles were written from when OS X first came out, so things have changed somewhat, but it gives you the meat of everything.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It seems that the first lawsuits have been issued against Sony. :))

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

And apparently the first malware that exploits the Sony software has also been detected. :(

Virus exploits Sony copy protection

Thanks for the info about Macs, Evolution and Stormy Monday. Will check further. :)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I saw on the metro today ( a free newspaper) that Sony is now offering refunds/exhanges of cds for new ones without the spyware on it

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2