Notifications
Clear all

Southpaws register here ...

34 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Cricket is a game of infinite subtlety and variety - contrast the brutal power of Steve Harmison, Brett Lee or Shoahib Akhtar with the artfulness of Shane Warne or Muttiah Muralitharan - the savage hitting of Andrew Flintoff or Virender Sehwag with the artistry of Brian Lara or Sachin Tendulkar - in English County Cricket this year, there were players from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, West Indies, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka - it's a game which teaches all the virtues of sportsmanship and fair play, the very word "cricket" is synonymous in most parts of the world with fair play (as it "it's just not cricket!") - it's a game which unites sportsmen and fans like no other...

I've seen many Liverpool-Everton derbies wher the atmosphere was electric - I've even seen a Celtic-Rangers derby, Merseyside derbies pale in comparison with the passion generated at that particular fixture - but if I ever get to travel to India, the absolute top of my list of places to visit would be a Test Match between India and Pakistan at Eden Gardens....now that would be an atmosphere to sample!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Let's see......

Right handed -

Write
Throw
Shoot
Guitar
Shoot pool (either, doesn't matter)

Left handed -

My left eye is my dominate eye (so I'm surprised I shoot righty, but my shooting doesn't suffer :wink: )
Bat
Skate (Goofy foot)
Tennis
And more that I can't think of at the moment

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I guess what got me hooked was that there has to be something right about a sport where you can stop and eat and drink whenever you want. Especially impressive when the food and beverage cart rolls out on the field.

Tomorrow, they could have TURKEY and EGG NOG! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Vic , ++1 (Should be a commentator )

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Absolutely lefthanded. When I was in Marine Corp boot camp they tried to make me shoot righthanded. It didn't take long for them to give up on that. I was a hazzard to myself and everyone around me trying to shoot righthanded. As for cricket I feed them to some of my lizards.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@locomotaninjaneer)

Hello, Fellow leftys
I am a southpaw I learned to play right handed but recently bought a left handed guitar. Its like learning all over again.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I write and shave left, but most everything else right, including guitar.
But I can do things like take a basketball hook shot equally well left or right, so I guess there's a lot of ambidextrous in there as well. :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

i consider myself a lefty. i play guitar left-handed, play sports as a lefty, but i write with my right hand.
i take a certain amount of pride in my left handed guitar playing. i dont know why. maybe its because some of my favorite players and songwriters are lefty...hendrix, iommi, cobain. though to be honest, had i known when i started playing how difficult it is finding lefty guitars i wouldve started off as a righty.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

I write left-handed in spite of the grade school nuns and a mean pre-school teacher. I thought my parents were going to kill her when they found out she was grabbing the pencil from my left hand and putting it in my right hand. She would then slap my left hand. :shock: Everything else including guitar playing, I do right-handed.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i'm a righty, but i'm posting because i've never seen a game of cricket, and i'm a major sports fan, could some one explain the game to me ?

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I'm a lefty too and do just about everything left handed except I play the guitar right handed. Does any other lefty feel that their strumming / picking ability lags behind their fretting ability? Do you have anything you do to overcome that? (any exercises or drills)

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

Hyper, i think thats a pretty good question for people in your situation (lefties who play guitar right-handed). ive never really considered that. as i said, im lefty as far as most 'power' things are considered - sports (throwing), guitar (strumming). but i use my right hand where fine motor skills are needed (writing, holding a fork or spoon). i think this actually benefits my guitar playing in the sense that i strum with the power hand but fret with the hand thats already accustomed to those intricate things, which may have made my chord forming easier.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

i consider myself a lefty. i play guitar left-handed, play sports as a lefty, but i write with my right hand.
i take a certain amount of pride in my left handed guitar playing. i dont know why. maybe its because some of my favorite players and songwriters are lefty...hendrix, iommi, cobain. though to be honest, had i known when i started playing how difficult it is finding lefty guitars i wouldve started off as a righty.
Did you know that Hendrix could play the guitar right handed, or he could play it left handed with the strings upside down(a la Albert King)...or right handed with the strings upside down? Amazing.

But yea, I play right handed, and do everything right handed. My left arm is almost non responsive, lol.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

Did you know that Hendrix could play the guitar right handed, or he could play it left handed with the strings upside down(a la Albert King)...or right handed with the strings upside down? Amazing.

But yea, I play right handed, and do everything right handed. My left arm is almost non responsive, lol.

NO, i didnt know that about Hendrix! just one more reason to be in awe of the man. and as far as your left arm being non responsive, thats kind of what i was getting at in my last post. i never had that issue with my right hand, considering i use it for some complicated things. like i said, i guess as much as i like to complain about my slow progress, there are things that have helped that i didnt realize until this thread!

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Something's just occured to me - aren't all guitarists ambidextrous, in a way? I'm right handed - but it seems to me my left hand bears the brunt of the burden and does most of the work. Ask yourself this - which hand's more likely to get tired, to get cramp, to ache - your strumming hand or your fetting hand?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3