Clear all

Southpaws register here ...

34 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Born Left handed

I play righty but wonder if I had learned to play lefty would things have been easier?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Something's just occured to me - aren't all guitarists ambidextrous, in a way? I'm right handed - but it seems to me my left hand bears the brunt of the burden and does most of the work. Ask yourself this - which hand's more likely to get tired, to get cramp, to ache - your strumming hand or your fetting hand?

I think that's only in more modern playing (i.e. the last few hundred years). The guitar (or actually it's ancestor before the invention of the guitar) originally was an accompaniment / chordal instrument only and the left hand work wasn't as involved as it is today. So the choice of which hands did which job made it more suited to a rightie. At least that's what I was told by a college music teacher from whom I took an adult ed group guitar class.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I write left-handed in spite of the grade school nuns and a mean pre-school teacher. I thought my parents were going to kill her when they found out she was grabbing the pencil from my left hand and putting it in my right hand. She would then slap my left hand. :shock:
Jim-Bone

Whoa, Nellie! That's literally old school...
I thought that sort of thing only happened generations ago. :shock:

Don

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Born lefty

Was hit at school and made to write right handed

Sounds like me except auntie Francis, may kindergarden teacher never hit me. I also eat right handed. My brother is pure left hander all the way. We had moved and he never had auntie Francis teach him. If he didn't start on violin I am sure he would have been a left handed bass player.

Growing up I bat, threw, shot, and took jump shots left handed. Playing in the post, around the hoop, bowling, playing ping pong with either hand. Dined and wrote right handed.

When I picked up a guitar left did feel more natural but not so much that I played right handed knowing finding a guitar and instruction would be easier.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3