Clear all

Squier vs. American Tele

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so I buy this cheap Squier(Strat) and amp 2 months ago, and I think I'm liking it better than the 700.00 Tele I bought 6 years ago. I changed out strings on The Squier, di'addario 10-46, had Tele set up by a pro, and I'm pretty sure the same strings went on that one. See, I am striving for that killer bend/vibrato and it just seems like more work on the Tele.

Can Anyone else relate to this?

Pat

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

hmm, not sure really. could you send the guitars to me for evaluation? :mrgreen:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Am sure squier sounds better ?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've had a Squier Strat, which I liked until I bought a Squier Tele, which I bought when I was shopping for a Fender Tele; I loved the Squier Tele until I bought a MIM Fender Tele, which I bought when looking for another Squier Tele. The Fender's a superior guitar - but there's nothing wrong with Squiers. Squier Tele v Squier Strat? Well, they're two different beasties - the Squier Tele has humbuckers, which I've come to prefer for slide...but the main differece I've found, both the Squier Tele and the MIM Tele are maple fretboards, whereas the Strat was Rosewood - and having played both, I could never, EVER go back to rosewood!

I got a lot of mileage out of the Squier Strat; IMO, they're a great starter guitar, and a reasonable substitute for the real thing. But, again IMO, Squier Teles seem to be a very good substitute for Fender; I use my exclusively for slide and open G now, and I don't think I'd swap it.

On the other hand, I've never tried a Strat with a maple fretboard.......YET.............

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I don't think you can expect an import strat to play the same as a tele. that would be true even if they were both american.
strats and teles are designed differently. I love my maple neck american made tele. and it is true, one has to work harder. the results though are the best twang and tone. strats are great guitars. very playable. it is almost five guitars in one. mine is a 80's strat plus with a maple neck. I need maple necks on my fenders. it doesn't matter on my other guitars.
my strat is a dream to play. I use the same gauge strings as you, 10-46. each guitar has its charm. I play the tele differently than the strat.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sure American Tele, Blue with Maple neck (Real Pretty) is no doubt a quality piece, and the Squier Strat is made in Indonesea, but for argument sake it's just Tele vs. Strat. The Strat just seems eaisier for me to string bend. (no Whammy Bar used)

Maybe I'm just A Strat guy wrapped around A Tele

.... Tele has 22 Frets, Squier 21....HmmmI love my maple neck american made tele. and it is true, one has to work harder. the results though are the best twang and tone.
I read somewhere that the Nashville guys put really really light strings on 'em to get that Modern Country "Twang Twang"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yes, for arguments sake...my strat plays easy compared to my tele.
where I adore my tele, I too am a strat guy.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

yes, for arguments sake...my strat plays easy compared to my tele.
where I adore my tele, I too am a strat guy.

Same here. Love my Tele, but my Strat is my go to guitar. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My Strat plays better than my Tele, but my Les Pauls play best. :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

My Strat plays better than my Tele, but my Les Pauls play best. :D

I think its *you* who make the LP play better. :note2:

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

In my opinion there isn't even a contest... my American Strat plays so much better than any other guitar I've ever played that a Squier would wilt under the scrutiony. I will say, however, that the one Squier I owned was a very solid guitar. I think sometimes the "value" of the guitar plays into your (general) thinking. For instance,

"Wow, this guitar plays pretty well. I can't believe it was only $150!"

then...

"Hmm... my American Strat was $650... does it really play 4 times better than the Squier?"

then...

"Man, this USA Strat is nice, but worth that much money when I can get a great playing Squier for $150? No way."

At least that's how I think about it. Squier's play decent (depending on the Squier) but I don't think they REALLY hold a candle next to a USA Stratocaster.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote