Clear all

SRV - glorified cover band??

19 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Have to agree all of SRV's stuff sounds the same to me.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

In blues and jazz there are "standards" that everyone does.

In those genres it doesn't diminish an artist to "cover" someone else's song.

But if you want to go into a jazz club and loudly proclaim Ella Fitzgerald wasn't a good singer 'cause she sung other people's songs ... feel free ;)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I could understand your point if you found out that half of Bob Dylans hits were covers. But, SRV is a woodshedder baby!

But many Dylan songs were made into hits when they were covered by someone else...

Don't forget that there are large sections of American music where the singer is often not the songwriter - they may never even meet each other. Country, MoTown, and Pop (Britney, etc) top the list.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Three great guitarists have been mentioned above, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and SRV:

Jimi Hendrix was a great guitarist, but his stuff, while sounding technically excellent to me, doesn't really move me. I've never been tempted to go buy a Hendrix CD because I needed to listen to it again.

Eric Clapton has a diverse range and I love a lot of his stuff.

But SRV's music and style reaches right in and grabs me inexorably by the heart. Its power over me is undeniable. Everytime, it makes me say, "Yeah, now that's what I'm talkin' bout!" It moves me and motivates me, and none of it sounds the same as the next. The Family Style CD with Jimmie is one of my most well-worn.

But my ears are different than your ears. Taste is such an individual thing.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2