Notifications
Clear all

Tab or Notation poll

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Something I saw BB King say in an online lesson (someone posted the link on this forum): "Learn to read. I didn't learn it well, but you can learn it."

Yes , that lesson was on Guitar.com site.I was dazzled by the lesson.Now you know why rolling stones voted him 3rd best guitarist of all times. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Since this is the first time I've seen this thread, I have a question about the above image.

It shows the C and G twice in the measure and the F twice in the measure. Does that mean that you strum each chord twice? Then, to further that, do you strum DU or DD or does it matter?

Also to answer the poll, I am using everything I can get my eyeballs on to understand as much about reading guitar/bass (not the fish :wink: ) written music as I can.

I like it all.

To break it down for me, I first figure out all the chords that are in the song that I'll need to play and make sure I can play them. If not, I'll get comfortable playing them randomly before falling flat on my face trying them for the first time while trying to stay in time with the song.

Once I'm comfortable with all the chords I then try to put them in order of the way they are written in the song. Then on goes the song and away I go. Practice like a (shut your mouth) until I feel that I've gotten it down.

In between that duration of time, there would be room for ...say ordering a pizza, shaving a couple times, taking a phone call or two and playing some Ghost Recon.

Then I'm satisified. On to the next project.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

My only complaint about Standard notation for guitar is that playing in higher positions I've always found to be tricky, but maybe i just need more practice!

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

My only complaint about Standard notation for guitar is that playing in higher positions I've always found to be tricky, but maybe i just need more practice!

Yeah - it ain't easy; like soooooooooo many things about the guitar it's one of those things that gets easier with practice.

And to Bish - this is what standard notation is all about. As I can read notation I can see that I need to play two C's, two G's then two F's in crotchets (quarter notes) at tempo and play the descending C major scale in semi quavers (16th notes). This means I can play the song and make it sound correct without ever having heard it before.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

To add to it: if you ever hope to go to a conservatorium you must be very comfortable with standard notation to pass entrance exams. As I just experienced.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It shows the C and G twice in the measure and the F twice in the measure. Does that mean that you strum each chord twice? Then, to further that, do you strum DU or DD or does it matter?
In this case you just have to decide for yourself which way to strum. Hopefully it will be made explicit whenever it matters, either with the letters U and D, or with symbols above the notes.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Both for me.

I'd say both probably applies to lots of players too, so the poll isn't going to show the picture accurately.

Standard notation is really handy and versatile when it comes to working out what to play and how to play it, and also how to sing the words as well.

When I first started trying to learn it I thought I must be musically dyslexic or something. But I blew up a staff (like kids big print book) until it was easier to follow and then just worked on a bit at a time.

Then I also put together a sheet which is now used for lots of purposes. It looks like this (excuse wonky scan). This is a rough one I used a while back to work on the key of C maj:

I practised various runs using the neck diagram only, until it was solid. I spoke or sang the note names as I played.

Then I filled the notes in below on the 6 staffs for the strings. Played the same runs (still saying/singing the names) but only looking at the music notation, not the basic neck diagram.

Then I did it using the big staff only (and played sometimes going up the G string, sometimes the B, or whatever).

Then I used it to start improvising, both with singing and with playing.

I'm learning about scales, note names and positions, reading notation, fretboard layout, fingering patterns, and singing - all in one. Can't be bad. 8)

I'm thinking of writing out some simple exercises based on this and posting them here at GN somewhere, if people think it might be useful.

I can link to blank sheets if you want.

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2