Notifications
Clear all

Tele advice needed

27 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

gnease, lovin the HD sticker on the black one. Do you ride?

heh -- no, but Beatercaster might. like one of those sailor tattoos, we woke one afternoon after a rough night, to find BC was sportin' a mystery HD sticker and a few more scratches. :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

heh -- no, but Beatercaster might. like one of those sailor tattoos, we woke one afternoon after a rough night, to find BC was sportin' a mystery HD sticker and a few more scratches.

Well, at least you didn't have to gnaw you arm off to not wake 'er up like some other morning after stories. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I'd strongly urge you to take a look at the Squier Classic Vibe teles. I got a CV 50's tele about two years ago, and it's my "go to" axe along with my twice as expensive ASAT at #2

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I bought an american standard tele in manchester on wednesday. The shop was called PMT lol.

But seriously, one of the best guitars i have ever played. It takes any effect (Pedal or amp) extremely well, and the tones you can get from it are sublime.

I have standard fender sc pickups in the body, dont know about the neck, it just looks like a line of metal, maybe someone could enlighten me on this?

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

............................dont know about the neck, it just looks like a line of metal, maybe someone could enlighten me on this?
It's commonly called a lipstick pickup. It's a single coil with a metal cap.
The original lipstick pickups were designed by Danelectro and used real lipstick tubes.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

............................dont know about the neck, it just looks like a line of metal, maybe someone could enlighten me on this?
The original lipstick pickups were designed by Danelectro and used real lipstick tubes.

Ah cool.. I guess i'm gonna have to research my pickups.

Are Single coils highly rated or evel lipstick pickups highly rated?

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'd strongly urge you to take a look at the Squier Classic Vibe teles. I got a CV 50's tele about two years ago, and it's my "go to" axe along with my twice as expensive ASAT at #2
Heck, for that matter, even the plain 'ol Squire Affinity off the shelf was a Tele and had that Tele twangy bark without any modification. I don't recall my mindset at the time, but I don't think I was looking to replace the pickups when I did. They were offerred to me, so I bit.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

SCs give a different sound to humbuckers, they're far "cleaner".

In the final analysis, it comes down to the quality of the pickup, rather than purely its price. Look at GFS, they offer pickups at ridiculous prices - but most of their users are more than satisfied. You can get beautiful sounding pickups - hand-wound - for much more. Is the difference worth it? Only your ears can decide.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Ah cool.. I guess i'm gonna have to research my pickups.

I love the sound of single coils. all my guitars have single coils. I have played humbuckers, but for me it's single coils.
I am a single coil playa! 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The classic Tele neck pickup really isn't a lipstick pickup, but it kinda looks like one when it's got the standard metal cover in place. The real Tele sound comes from one with that pickup on the neck and the single coil Tele bridge pickup with no tone control on it. Teles with P-90s and humbuckers on them may be cool, but they're something else IMO.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

You have experience with both guitars, how is the Tele neck pickup sound compared to the Strat neck pickup sound? A Strat could sound like a Tele?

I know it is a new question but these days I'm listening several jazz guitar players and some of them use Teles but I didn't view any player with Strat.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The classic Tele neck pickup really isn't a lipstick pickup, but it kinda looks like one when it's got the standard metal cover in place. The real Tele sound comes from one with that pickup on the neck and the single coil Tele bridge pickup with no tone control on it. Teles with P-90s and humbuckers on them may be cool, but they're something else IMO.

+1 on all of that.

one really needs to listen and decide what one wants. IIRC, the dual P-90 "Tele" (Aerodyne model?) also has a set neck -- all fine, but def not classic Tele in timbre: darker and crunchier version original snappy/twangy. my own Beatercaster is really a different animal as well -- but then I also have a pretty good sample of the reg'lar ole Tele when I want that.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2