The Long of It

12 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

6 min, 10 min, 20 min song ?

Consider this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8252444.stm

I wonder how could he compose such long piece ?

(@almann1979)
Noble Member

wow - is it really 100o years long?? or does it just sound so bad it feels that way :lol:

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am trying to recall if there is a John Cage piece that is immensely long. :idea:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Is it just me, or did the words "What a waste of time" occur to anyone else?

:) :) :)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There is a Cage piece - I think it's called ASLAP (As Slow As Possible). It's been performed many times at 20-30 minutes, but there's a performance underway now... I think in Germany, but I could be wrong... that started about 10 years ago. They're doing something like one beat per year, and it'll take something more than 6 centuries.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

AWW MAN!!!! I missed the first decade of the piece already. Too late to ask to start over isn't it? :note1: :note2:

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

There is a Cage piece - I think it's called ASLAP (As Slow As Possible). It's been performed many times at 20-30 minutes, but there's a performance underway now... I think in Germany, but I could be wrong... that started about 10 years ago. They're doing something like one beat per year, and it'll take something more than 6 centuries.

Yes, it's in Halberstadt. It's slated to last 639 years and they built an organ especially for the job.

There's a web site with a swag of info and some rather nice pictures. It explains why that length of time was chosen.

ORGAN2/ASLSP

More at a Wiki site

I rather like that the performance began with rest that lasted from September 5, 2001 until February 5, 2003. It must have built up the suspense nicely for the first chord, which lasted a brisk couple of years until July 5, 2005... :mrgreen:

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Computers and 1000 years? Interesting.

I guess the computer does not run Microsoft Windows... "The updates have been successfully installed. The computer will play da capo now."

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I guess the computer does not run Microsoft Windows... "The updates have been successfully installed. The computer will play da capo now."

LOL!! Must not be running windows.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

That's Windoze, isn't it?

Beethoven's ninth runs for something like 75 minutes, which is why a CD stores as much info as it does.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

"The updates have been successfully installed. The computer will play da capo now."
or . . .

"The updates have been successfully installed.

Restarting . . . ."

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I can just see it now - 628 years into the piece and ......................

Blue Screen of Death appears !!!!

Reboot and start again...............................................

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote