Notifications
Clear all

This is Spinal Tap

33 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I especially like the way he pauses to retune the violin. I guess he could just tell it was off. That was a brave thing to do, too. I know violinists who are scared to tune their instruments.

ReplyQuote
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member

Or it could be the stonehenge scene

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I love the part were they had to do the free form jam :lol: :lol: I was in a similar situation in 1976, a buddy needed some help with a last minute gig he got at the local YMCA dance, non of us had played together befor and we did not know the same songs, I played Bass ( i borrowed a rig from another buddy) and we did all free form jam for TWO hours, the only real song we played was Taking care of business-BTO. :oops: :oops:--A real Spinal Tap moment!!!! :lol: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

It's the best film ever made about rock music culture and it's one of the best films I've ever seen.

"If we need that extra tip over the cliff... 11."
"Well, why don't you make 10 a little louder, have that as the top number and, you know, make that a little louder?"
"...these amps go to 11."

ReplyQuote
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member

I wish i had amps that went to 11!

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Why? Couldn't you just have 10 the loudest and then...wait, I'm in the movie now, lol.

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

"It's almost as if... how much more black could this be and the answer is... none... more black."

ReplyQuote
(@white_falcon777)

definitely my three favorite parts were 1) getting lost in the basement 2) amps go to 11 and, my favorite, 3) stonehenge. Those scenes in the movie that i saw years ago will live in my mind 4ever. now, if you'll excuse me, i gotta blare out some riffs ( cranked up to 11, of course)

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

"You can't dust for vomit."

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

There's a deleted scene (found on the Platinum Edition) where Nigel and David are in a back room after their incredible row in the studio, and they don't say much, but David starts playing a riff on an acoustic guitar and Nigel joins in and pretty soon they're both over it.

Touching moment, but it also showed that the guys really 'can' play guitar and it's not just miming.

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

I was wondering.. how much of the movie is true? or is most fictional? are there, or were, a band called spinal tap? or is the storyline fictional?

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

The storyline is fictional, but it comes from the collective culture of rock bands so that everyone sees themselves in it.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member

Pretty much everything in there is reference to some band. If you want a list, I'll start it:

Deep Purple once held the record for Britain's loudest band
The song Big Bottom is related to Queen's Fat-Bottomed Girls
I believe Led Zeppelin used a stonehenge monument
That one guy's girlfriend is like Yoko Ono

And there are many others but I've not seen it in a while

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

I saw This Is Spinal Tap last night.. great movie :D

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@pastell-black)

Hi,
Some time ago I read in a guitar magazine:"Even if none of us remembers jimi hendrix or eddie van halen, we'll all still know who nigel tufnel is.."
Well, This is Spinal Tab is a really "movie legend" and I've seen it 5 times or so and have never been bored.
These interviews with the band are awsome, and the shows,... well they really have *style*

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3