Tom Waits?

47 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
11.5 K Views
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Smokin'dog - right on.
He's a great storyteller. And I love that song too. ($29 and an aligator purse)
I read him saying about songwriting that Neil Young wrote like a child
and about Horse With No Name - "I've been thru the desert on a horse with no name...."
WHO CARES!!!!
Now If they woulda said - I've been thru the desert on a horse with no LEGS....
I would be interested.
He then went on to say that in songwriting - he wants to KNOW that there is gum under the table.
Priceless songwriting advice. :D

My favorite albums are - The Heart Of Saturday Night; wore mine out. Beautiful laid back Jazzy stuff.
And Bone Machine - completely different. Very Raspy and frenetic. Some find the 'concept' of the disc depressing.
I love it though.

He came out with two cd's not too long ago, almost at the same time - they were HUGE with the college kids.
I haven't heard them though. Supposed to be very good.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Smokin'dog - right on.
He's a great storyteller. And I love that song too. ($29 and an aligator purse)
I read him saying about songwriting that Neil Young wrote like a child
and about Horse With No Name - "I've been thru the desert on a horse with no name...."
WHO CARES!!!!
Now If they woulda said - I've been thru the desert on a horse with no LEGS....
I would be interested.
He then went on to say that in songwriting - he wants to KNOW that there is gum under the table.
Priceless songwriting advice. :D

My favorite albums are - The Heart Of Saturday Night; wore mine out. Beautiful laid back Jazzy stuff.
And Bone Machine - completely different. Very Raspy and frenetic. Some find the 'concept' of the disc depressing.
I love it though.

He came out with two cd's not too long ago, almost at the same time - they were HUGE with the college kids.
I haven't heard them though. Supposed to be very good.

Ken
A horse with no legs - LOL. I am going to take that songwriting advice to heart. Although, as lyricists go, Neil Young is certainly in the better half especially if he is complaining about juvenille/immature lyrics.

Thanks again!

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Not sure ... but it almost seems as if someone might be saying/thinking Neil Young wrote Horse with No Name? He didn't. The group 'America' gets to keep that honor.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi Purple :D

Yeah, I know.
I'm a huge Neil Young fan.
I wouldn't listen to L.S. for a long time for bashing Neil in Sweet Home Alabama.

I let Tom Waits get away with it though. :wink:

So which albums did you end up getting... or which are your favorite songs????

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Gnease - No.
I didn't imply that Neil Young wrote Horse with No Name.
Two seperate things.
Although I do know some people who think that is Neil.

I belive that Tom Waits was actually refering to Neil's I Am a Child - Ironically enough.

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Smokin'Dog :D :D :D :D

Beautiful 8)

It's cold in Chicago
Up here in Wisconsin it's worse
I tell you
I got less than 28 dollars
and a pair of alligator boots :wink:

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Smokin'Dog :D :D :D :D

Beautiful 8)

It's cold in Chicago
Up here in Wisconsin it's worse
I tell you
I got less than 28 dollars
and a pair of alligator boots :wink:

Ken

Its warm down in South Carolina.
But Down at the beach they park a hearse.
For some poor soul with......
$29 dollars, some bad luck and an alligator purse.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't listen to L.S. for a long time for bashing Neil in Sweet Home Alabama.
Hey, I cheered L.S. for that, but I swore off listening to L.S. nearly 30 years ago when they came out with that damnable S***y Nt S*****l, and I still rush to turn off the "classic rock" radio station when I hear the opening chords of that song. I may not get around to turning it back on for a day or two or three. For some reason they think that's the main song from L.S. that's worth playing. My favorite was always The Ballad of Curtis Lowe, and I also liked Sweet Home Alabama a lot at the time. And Freebird's gotten to be such a joke, anyone who plays slide guitar needs to be able to break into it at a moment's notice. My wife says that in her quasi-groupie days in the '70s her opinion was that L.S. were a bunch of unlikable redneck lowlifes for the most part, but they did play some nice music. She's a big Neil Young fan, but I've never enjoyed much of his music myself.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Hey, I cheered L.S. for that, but I swore off listening to L.S. nearly 30 years ago when they came out with that damnable S***y Nt S*****l, and I still rush to turn off the "classic rock" radio station when I hear the opening chords of that song. I may not get around to turning it back on for a day or two or three. For some reason they think that's the main song from L.S. that's worth playing. My favorite was always The Ballad of Curtis Lowe, and I also liked Sweet Home Alabama a lot at the time. And Freebird's gotten to be such a joke, anyone who plays slide guitar needs to be able to break into it at a moment's notice. My wife says that in her quasi-groupie days in the '70s her opinion was that L.S. were a bunch of unlikable redneck lowlifes for the most part, but they did play some nice music. She's a big Neil Young fan, but I've never enjoyed much of his music myself.

(Sorry Vic, but ....)

...gotten to be such a joke ...?! Freebird is about as appealing as a sloppy, emoting drunk who keeps trying to hug you while drooling "I really love ya, man." That was the last straw for me and Skynyrd. I even found Neil more palatable during his infamous c'ed-up appearance in 'The Last Waltz.'

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh, I won't argue with you about Freebird. Never liked it much, really. But it is a nice gag.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The real talent in Lynyrd Skynyrd was the dude who tickled the ivories.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Ricochet - Your beautiful wife was a quasi-groupie???? Wow.
We should have a post about that. (Not about Mrs. Ricochet, lol... Hi by the way :D . About girls we know who have
had groupie experiences.)

Here's the tie in with that and gnease's comment about Neil on the Last Waltz - which I loved. The Band trying to figure out
what key he's in/what the chord structure was, whatever. Too funny.

Back around 94 or so my then girlfriend and I saw Rick Danko play at a small club on the Southside (Chicago).
He was so taken with Tiffany (My girlfriend) that he sent the guitarist out to invite her backstage.
And of course I tagged along.
He ended up letting her pick the entire second set list (All The Band oldies) while I sat on the floor with the band talking
guitarists.
When he did the second set, Rick dedicated it to Tiffany. And when he did The Weight, he changed the line to -What About Young Tiffany.
We were having problems in our 4 year relationship at that time, and the last song we danced to before we broke up was
'It Makes No Difference' sung to us by Rick himself.
A wonderful night.

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Several topics to discuss: I have to admit, that I have yet to actually purchase a Waits CD. Made some more downloads and was a little at a loss on what to buy since several different albums were recommended. Then I had the genius plan to actually check out the albums in a store, as if holding them in my hand would give me a better idea on which sound I would prefer. :? Well, I went to several stores (over a couple weeks) and not one had a Waits cd in it. Some had the slot but it was empty. So then, I went to on vacation for a week and I got caught up in getting ready to go that Waits cd was the last thing on my mind. I have finally resolved to just purchase on-line. Haven't made a solid decision yet, though. I am a highly indecisive procrastinator.

Rick Danko - I actually saw him perform in 1997, I believe, I think he died a year or two later. Anyway, I saw Bob Dylan in concert and in the second half he invited, "the singer from the Band" Rick Danko out for a few songs. I wasn't a Band fan at the time so I didn't know who he was or remember the name. Just like 2 months ago I figured out which Band member it was thanks to the internet. The Last Waltz is a great rock concert/movie.

As for Lynyrd Skynyrd, my favorite Young song is 'Alabama.' I just love it, no personal beef with Alabama, just like the emotion that rises when leading to the chorus. However, I do take issue with the song Sweet Home Alabama - it's racist. There is the lyric, "And the Governor's true,' well the only governor I know of Alabama is George Wallace. The one who stood on the steps of the high school to stop the black (african american, I don't know what is pc) students from attending. Not saying they couldn't be refrencing another governor, I just don't know another governor of Alabama that would be more prominent at the time. Anywho, I take no offense to them ragging on Neil Young, as I think they were actually friends and had no ripple between them.

Lastly, I am a female with no groupie stories. My mom went to a Chicago concert circa the early 80's and the group came out to sign autographs. Well, the lead singer walks out the door, walks right to my mom, grabs her hand and plants a big one on her right in front of a big crowd. She was with my dad but he is such a groupie himself that he didn't get upset at all and thought it was kind of cool. However, my mom was not pleased.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I am now in ownership of not one but two, yes count them - "one, two", two Tom Waits albums. No wait sorry, I lied, I bought three but I didn't open the third. It's fate lays in limbo and will be decided upon judgement of the other two.

I ordered Frank's Wild Years from the internet. I was unsure of a good second to buy and was torn between three albums but then found one, Rain Dogs, in a store and that made up my mind. No one ever told me Waits does "Way Down in the Hole." I LOVE that song - I knew it from some tv/movie where I had originally heard it. (I just looked up where I knew the song from and it's the HBO series the Wire - I watched intermittently.) What luck to order an album that I would have ordered if I ever followed up on what the theme song was to that show. Another fave is 'Telephone Call from Istanbul.' Rain Dogs I have only done a couple listen throughs and after I found WDitH have devoted my time to Frank. It takes me at least 3 months to really know if I like an album. My favorite albums aren't something I loved on the first listen through but rather grew on me in time.

The third album I believe is Heart of Saturday Night - it wasn't something I was originally considering buying and don't think anyone mentioned it on here. I had trouble just finding Waits in stores and it was the only other album I found other than Rain Dogs so I said what the hey, and bought it with RD. Any thoughts on whether or not I should open it.

Thanks again everyone

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4