Notifications
Clear all

Vai, Zappa, and others

36 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

@Staffan, Do you have all that music on your computer? If you could, I'd really like if you could put your collection up somewhere so I could download them, because even if I go looking to download the songs, I doubt I'd find them all.

Sorry man, it´s all on CD... I´m not a big fan of mp3s because of the quality-loss (I know, a lot of people tell me you can´t here a difference, but I beg to differ...).

But on the positive side, Zappa CDs (at least the ones that are distributed by Ryko-disc - and that´s a lot of his original releases) tend to sell at mid- (or even low-) prices nowadays, so you shouldn´t have to part with to much of your hard-earned cash if you search around a bit and order online.

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am going to check Mr. Zappa soon. Infact as soon as I get over Poison... :lol:

By the way, which is the best compilation album out of the many he has released?

Thanks,

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@takhara)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@Staffan, Do you have all that music on your computer? If you could, I'd really like if you could put your collection up somewhere so I could download them, because even if I go looking to download the songs, I doubt I'd find them all.

Sorry man, it´s all on CD... I´m not a big fan of mp3s because of the quality-loss (I know, a lot of people tell me you can´t here a difference, but I beg to differ...).

But on the positive side, Zappa CDs (at least the ones that are distributed by Ryko-disc - and that´s a lot of his original releases) tend to sell at mid- (or even low-) prices nowadays, so you shouldn´t have to part with to much of your hard-earned cash if you search around a bit and order online.
I gotcha, I'll see if I can find them online sometime. I need to find a job first, though. Seems nearly nobody is hiring nowadays :|

So what are your favorites by him?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

#1: "Willy The Pimp" on Hot Rats. That album's got a lot of good stuff on it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

'Jazz from Hell' (album)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Uncle Meat, for starters, Apostrophe.......Yellow snow era, Live at the Fillmore....you just don''t say ,"OK; I'm gonna change who I listen to & go from Poison to Zappa" & understand what's going on here.
Zappa music grows on you....It's always put a smile on my face, probably the comedic genius he was.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Uncle Meat, for starters, Apostrophe.......Yellow snow era, Live at the Fillmore....you just don''t say ,"OK; I'm gonna change who I listen to & go from Poison to Zappa" & understand what's going on here.
Zappa music grows on you....It's always put a smile on my face, probably the comedic genius he was.

I know it takes time to understand and appreciate music of any artist...

I just checked 'Peaches En Regalia' and 'My guitar wants to kill your mama' by Zappa. He's definitly different from the music I usually listen to, but is interesting. I was considering for a compilation album because the man's got like 60 albums as per wiki... :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"I am the slime from the video..."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

"I am the slime from the video..."

from the album 'Over-nite Sensation', my first Zappa. also featuring Camarillo Brillo, Dinah-Moe Humm, Dirty Love and Montana -- every one of these a great tune and Zappa classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-Nite_Sensation

"I mean, is that a real Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?" (probably misquoted)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@takhara)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes, hes quickly growing on me. I catch myself humming Bobby Brown, and mentally imagining the riffs from Napkin, as they're my favorites from him thus far.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

"I mean, is that a real Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?" (probably misquoted)
Nope, you got it.
From Cosmik Debris. The same song my signature comes from.

The first Zappa albums I heard were Joe's Garage and Sheik Yerbouti. I was never the same after that. Imagine a 15 year old in a friend's basement hearing Joe's Garage.

But for a compilation to recommend to a newcomer, I'd suggest Strictly Commercial .

Although he seldom did the same thing twice, so each album (or different performance on the live albums) can be quite a bit different from the rest.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

psssttt! hey! remember me? the ccccentral ssscrutinizer!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think the poncho quote's from "Camarillo Brillo."

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Can't wait to see ZPZ this July. Frank would be proud of Dweezil.

I apologize if I wrote this already.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I think the poncho quote's from "Camarillo Brillo."

running joke -- used more than once.

I like the rhyme of poncho with unconscio (sp? :wink: ) in Camarillo

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3