Skip to content
What do you guys th...

Notifications
Clear all

What do you guys think About MODERN ROCK/PUNK ?

75 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
12.7 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My favourite modern rock bands are Alter Bridge and Disturbed.
My favourite punk bands are Nirvana and The Offspring.

I could never get into classic rock. It never really spoke to me. Hendrix, Page, Clapton, never liked them. Hendrix I can watch him play because he has a lot of stage presence but can't stand listening to him. But his stage presence still doesn't top Kurt Cobain jumping from his amp into the drumkit. I've yet to hear all of Stairway to Heaven. I can never get more than 3 minutes into the song before I put something else on. I covered Sunshine of Your Love by Cream, but I've never heard the song. Not saying they're bad, they just don't do anything for me. Could be I just wasn't around when they were popular.

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Modern stuff I actually like:
Audioslave
RHCP
Green Day
Harvey Danger
The White Stripes
S.O.A.D.
The Yeah Yeah Yeah's
The Shins
Deathcab for Cutie
FYI: I'm 39, and grew up with dad playing Ray Charles, Benny Goodman, and Willie Nelson. As soon as I could, I got into classic rock, blues, and 1st generation punk (Led Zep, Rush, J.Geils, Ramones, George Thorogood) maybe more later, gotta watch a movie!

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Al brought up Green Day, although from his comments, I can't tell if he likes them or not. ;) More popular than they used to be, definitely, but if you watch the DVD that comes w/ Bullet in a Bible, it's pretty clear to me that they take the music pretty seriously.

Yes, I like Greenday - I use Time Of Your Life when I'm teaching as an exercise in how to work out a song from the record, and one of my students got the American Idiot songbook for Christmas so we've been working through the singles. I have Bullet In A Bible, and it's a very revealing documentary about life on the road.

...stage presence still doesn't top Kurt Cobain jumping from his amp into the drumkit.

Such a pity that Cobain just ripped off The Who; they were destroying their stage kit back in the 1960s. Maybe a lot of the problem with a lot of the new bands is that they're not saying anything new, or saying anything old in a new way.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@se7en)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My favourite modern rock bands are Alter Bridge and Disturbed.
My favourite punk bands are Nirvana and The Offspring.

I could never get into classic rock. It never really spoke to me. Hendrix, Page, Clapton, never liked them. Hendrix I can watch him play because he has a lot of stage presence but can't stand listening to him. But his stage presence still doesn't top Kurt Cobain jumping from his amp into the drumkit. I've yet to hear all of Stairway to Heaven. I can never get more than 3 minutes into the song before I put something else on. I covered Sunshine of Your Love by Cream, but I've never heard the song. Not saying they're bad, they just don't do anything for me. Could be I just wasn't around when they were popular.

Wow you are the first person I see, that can't stand Stairway to Heaven, Well then Pink Floyd isn't for you :lol:

I just want to say Big Thank you to ALL who left their mark in this Topic. It's Really Fascinating to read your views guys, It's probably one of the best place for me to read good peoples reviews and thoughts.

Hey Keep'em coming .... Lovin it :lol:

Thanks and Regards

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

So far no one has mentioned Radiohead, the classic modern band!

My favorite band, no secret on this site if anyone actually reads my posts, is Red Hot Chili Peppers. I agree that John is one of the best guitarist aroundt today and add that flea is one of the best bassists.

I have a Wolfmother CD that I like a lot they get good reviews and are generally well received. They sound like a cross between Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath but somehow they make it work without sounding derivative.

I like Cat Power too, though she's not a band and not rock. just mentioning her because she's pretty new.

There's a band called Spiritualized that I like and a band called Morphine that I like, though neither of them are too new and there won't be any new Morphine CDs since Mark died a few years ago.

I'm looking for a new great band, been looking for one for a while but no one has topped the Chili Peppers. they remain at number one for me until one better comes along.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I think I'm in line with most who have posted here so far.

I was an 80's kid....and IN the scene at the time. I think this "New" Punk is Crap. Both with and without the silent "C". Some of it completely kicks and Ripps but most of it I think appeals to these spoiled suburban kids that aren't turned on by Rap. The rest I think are just POP, designed to appeal to boys and girls, (errrr dudes and chicks), and win some popularity contest. No one has emerged yet that has something to "SAY" about this "New World".

I stick to the old school stuff... Dead Kennedy's, Social Distortion, C Jerks, Bad Religion, old Off Spring, Sex Pistols, Agent Orange, Wasted Youth, Fear, Suicidal and yes... old U2. Then there's the old(er) Mood music of the 80's: The Cure, D-Mode, Love and Rockets, Soft Cell, English Beat, Specials, The Church.... I can list a bunch of em.

The 90's were great for this Genre too. I think the hardest hitting was by far Manson. Yeah he's a freak show but what he's talking about is... well in your face.

These days I'm not finding it but again I'm not really looking for it. The one band though that has caught my 'ear' is the White Stripes. I remember the first time I heard Elephant. As the album progressed, (it was a road trip), I had to ask if this was the same band? YES was the answer... instant smile. Jack can play and play good I think.

I'm sure though looking back on the 2K decade it'll be interested for music.

I still love the 'Classics' too. Zepp, Eagles, Hendrix, Steely Dan, Alabama, Who, Floyd, Alan Parsons, etc etc.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I like what I like - genre, age etc. don't come into it. Categorising it like that, for me, is a little like trying to decide whether guitarists whose name starts with T are better than those whose name starts with a J :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

you nailed it misenthrope :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

TOOL, ISIS, Explosions in the Sky, Red Sparowes, and Pelican are all AMAZING bands.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I agree with misanthrope - I try to listen song by song and decide if I like it or not, irrelevant of who is playing it.

On another note, I do like listening to really good live bands - genre takes second place to live performance.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Fun thread.
I've never been a big listener to the radio, so I've always sort of been off on my own taste wise.
But for real longevity, groups or artists I've been listening to forever, a few that come to mind:
Roxy Music, Harry Nilsson, Emmylou Harris, Neil Young and just about anything that came out of Memphis or Muscle Shoals during the southern soul heyday. :D

Don

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I tend to take each band/artist on its merits and don't get too hung up about genre. I think my CD collection is testament to this.

Is there some age thing going on here. My musical tastes are far more varied than those of my boys. They tend to stick to what they know and like and everything else is rubbish. Billie Joe is a far superior guitarist to Hendrix/Clapton/Page/Gilmour etc. :roll: I know I went through this phase as a youngster. I think it has something to do with the need to identify with a particular image. Is it a peer pressure type thing, I don't know. Any psychologists on the forums?

As for the current crop of bands I think we are better off musically at the moment than we were a few years ago. "Real music" as opposed to the manufactured stuff seems to be making a bit of a comeback in the mainstream which can't be a bad thing.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I tend to take each band/artist on its merits and don't get too hung up about genre. I think my CD collection is testament to this.

Is there some age thing going on here. My musical tastes are far more varied than those of my boys. They tend to stick to what they know and like and everything else is rubbish. Billie Joe is a far superior guitarist to Hendrix/Clapton/Page/Gilmour etc. :roll:

8) As I was making my little list of people who had stuck with, I was also remembering all the groups I at some point was convinced were the greatest ever!!! and now I couldn't care less about.
Happy to say I could easily rhyme off another 40 or 50 artists and groups I love from the whole spectrum of music mainly because as you say, I try to just take stuff on it's own merits and not get hung up in whether it's cool or sophisticated or whatever...

Don

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

certainly seems the more mature amongst us are more open minded.....basically i'm of the mould that if it floats my boat then its cool....all music that has gone before has influenced in some small way ALL music here today/tomorrow and if we're willing to go beyond the 'chart' stuff then there is a wealth of talent........and lets face it some covers of older songs are an improvement :lol: :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

so Punk Music? guitar? of course!! : The Clash, Sex Pistols, Stranglers,The Jam, The Damned, X, teh Vibrators, Television,Talking Heads,Blondie, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Joy Division,Pixies and a large etc.
now modern rock as far as I know was a term the radios used for bands that I love like Depeche MOde (there are great songs for guitar like Walking in my Shoes, Personal Jesus that covered Johnny Cash,etc), REM, The Smiths (check out Johnny Marr),The La's,Nick Cave ,Jesus & Mary Chain, Style Council, The Cult, Madness. the Specials,Public Image Ltd,even U2 ...
as you can see there are lots of groups to investigate.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5