Clear all

What is your playing level?

40 Posts
36 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion... I have a feeling this was already done somewhere, but I couldn't locate it...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I picked "Good - I can hang with most musicians". I'm decent at guitar. I've been playing for three years, and can hold my own with most. I know a few hundreds songs I guess, plus I have known plenty that just became forgotten over the years.

I have alright technique, the only I can't do is long sweeps really. I can play along with many songs, and write some ones that aren't terribly boring. But many people will still make me look like that kid botching Stairway or Layla in a music store.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Slightly better than yesterday and never as good as I'd like... :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

so true...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Slightly better than yesterday and never as good as I'd like... :wink:

Peace

Excellent poll and great response David. I think I would fit in there too, probably for the rest of my life. But I picked the majority answer (so far). I can play a few songs and their pretty decent.

GEoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I went for "If you heard me in a bar you wouldn't run away screaming" - you might walk away chuckling, but that wasn't in there so I went for the nearest.....

I think I'm beginning to develop into a reasonably decent rhythm guitarist, still a little weak on fingerpicking, but I've found over the last year or so, playing at an acoustic jam session once a week in a pub has really helped - I've found on songs I'm not totally familiar with, I can watch people's fingers for the changes - took a while, but as long as you've got a rough sense of the rhythm, it can be done....and after a while, playing so many different songs, you develope an almost sixth sense as to what chord's coming next....

I'm aiming for "Good - I can hang with most musicians" by the end of the year......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I debated between "Good - I can hang with most musicians" and "If you heard me in a bar you wouldn't run away screaming".... I want to lean toward "Good", but my ego won't let me. Therefore, my answer would have to be "If you heard me in a bar you wouldn't run away screaming".

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i can hang, but will strive with everything i have to be great, guitar is the greatest instument
god gave man the knoledege to invent, and i will do it justice 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I can touch my nose with my tongue, while playing even.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I can touch my nose with my tongue, while playing even.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I chose the 20 songs and jam

I'd scare ME off the stage.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I'll be a newb till the day I die. Theres always something new to learn and be new at...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I chose the " If you heard me at a bar........" :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

today my current level is too wiped out from the week to practice so i'll just fart around a bit with it and see what i come up with.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm..

I've been playing well over 30 years, so I'm not new. The first one's out.

I can hold the guitar and tune it, so that's a choice...

I can play a lot of chords and notes (and Mary Had a Little Lamb)... with the word 'some' in there, I have to admit there are chords and sequences that I can't play yet, and least not in tempo, so that's a choice...

I do have bar chords down, know a lot more than 15 songs, and I can jam, so the next two fit...

Nobody's ever run out of a gig screaming... so that works. But most of the time peoples eyes shouldn't be on me - they should be having a great time, so I'll rule out the chops one.

I can't even imagine what Clapton tunes would be like if Yngwie played them (or vice versa), so that's a definate no...

That leaves hanging with most as the best fit.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Just got back from a week's (or maybe long) vacation and the guitar felt like heaven in my hands.

Music forms another personality in my life.I play at that level :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3