Clear all

What was your first guitar?

55 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

With all these guitar polls I though I'd make this topic. I'm not gonna make it a poll since there are so many options.

So yea, where'd it all start for you? Acoustic, banjo, bass, electric, hollowbody?

Anyways my first guitar is an electric Squier '51. It's the only guitar I have and I'm very happy with it. :)

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A Transparent Red Washburn D11. Still have it. Very nice sounding and playing dreadnought.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

A really cheap nylon stringer my parents got for me when I was 9 or 10 years old.

After being taught Twinkle Twinkle and Michael Row The Boat Ashore I was bored, and told my teacher I wanted to learn some rock songs. He said something like, "Sure, we'll get to that, but this other stuff comes first." So I quit, and the guitar sat under the bed for years collecting dust. Then it got lost during a family move.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

A Rickenbacker 4000 and something bass. The one with just one p/u. Used, with a form fitted case: 250 bucks! I sold it for the same price about 5 years later. Never picked up a guitar again until the winter of '05. And that was a Squier '51. :wink:
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

At age 15, one of these Teisco Del Rey thinline hollow bodies:

Within six months I'd broken and repaired the truss rod, added a Tele switch, metal tuners, made and added wood control panel and pick guard. But it was still just a humble Teisco.

Two years later, I had finally managed to buy a lawsuit Ibanez SG. Then I built the Teisco a new neck carved from a block of curly maple, and eventually abandoned my first axe in some attic at university. Wish I still had it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Johnson acoustic. Made from a kit by some guy. Bought for $40 with a gig bag. It fell apart a year later. Literally. The fretboard came off and the neck came loose. Oh, and the strings tore the plastic saddle to pieces.

So I bought a Martin.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

1962 Harmony acoustic. Still got it :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

A no-name brand acoustic from Sears. It was a Christmas present from my parents. The action was so high, you could stick your finger between the strings and the fretboard!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

In 83 I got an 82 Fender Bullet. Of course I don't have it anymore. I really wish I had that Sunn amp that I had with it. I know better now.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

My dad had a '57 tele that I restrung to see if I'd like playing guitar. Strung it back when I got my first one - a 1974 Ibanez 12 string acoustic that I worked two jobs one summer to buy. It was right handed and I restrung it lefty. Seems like a million years ago...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

A black C.F. Martin & Co. Stinger (ST2). That guitar was never meant for me, never felt right, never seemed right, but I kept it. My mom struggled to help pay for the guitar and over the years I felt bad because of my poor progess.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

My first guitar was a generic nylon acoustic that my parents bought me when I was around 8 years old. My first songs were mostly christian school songs of the time. The first songs I learnt in earnest were "Leaving on a jet plane" and "Streets of London". A friend of my parents' had a full size Yamaha 12 string that I loved to play, I used to fingerpick "Vincent" by Don McLean. My parents explained the relevance of the song to me and I understood it. After that my parents organised 3 years of Classical Guitar lessons and it killed it for me. I stopped playing when I was 12 and it's taken 25 years for me to start again.

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My dad had a '57 tele that I restrung to see if I'd like playing guitar. Strung it back when I got my first one - a 1974 Ibanez 12 string acoustic that I worked two jobs one summer to buy. It was right handed and I restrung it lefty. Seems like a million years ago...

Peace

It was, my friend, it was. :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

My first guitar was a Sears steel string acoustic that my parents bought me when I was 9. I took lessons with a guy whose idea of great songs to teach children was El Manicero. I ended up quiting after a while. I didn't pick up a guitar again until I was in my mid-30's. When I did my next "first guitar" was a franken-335 - an FD30 (FatDawg 30) made up of an old Coral Firefly body and random parts. I've still got it but it doesn't see much use these days.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Like a lot of people, I started with a no-name nylon string acoustic bought for me by my mother. Always struck me as strange that all my friends who had guitars had something similar - why is it parents always buy a classical guitar for their kids, when 99% of those kids want a guitar they can play ROCK music with?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4