Notifications
Clear all

What you been playing/learning lately?

36 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Been playing a lot of Sammy Hagar. Direct TV had a concert on with him and the Wabos and next thing I know I'm playing the stuff.

That's a fun concert. Was it the older one with Michael Anthony guesting? Mona Gnader on bass is impressive.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I am currently working on learning Jackie Blue, Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Jackie Blue is a weird tuning. It's tuned down 1/2 step, the chorus is in Gb (Em7 and Am7) but the verses are in C. It took me two days of second-guessing myself to realize I had to play G#, C#, D#m because I was tuned down 1/2 step. :roll:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Have started "Muleskinner Blues" from a Tony Rice video.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oaHHrNQVrg

http://www.guitaretab.com/i/isaak-chris/8899.html

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Iron Man - quite a few songs from Black Sabbath actually.
i've been playing around with this tune i've had for about 3 years now aswell...still trying to get it to the next stage.

My wife gave me a wake up call the other day. She walks in as i'm playing this, turns and looks at me and says:
You didn't get very far in 3 years did you! :oops: :oops:

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My wife gave me a wake up call the other day. She walks in as i'm playing this, turns and looks at me and says:
You didn't get very far in 3 years did you!

:shock: :shock:

Gotta love the support. Got any idea what you did earlier that week to pi** her off? :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Not sure could have been a multitude of things...you learn these things when you get married..
The old ball and chain..only thing is, no one told me this ball actually talks too!!

Just kidding wifey's awesome, got me guitar for my birthday last year :D

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Just kidding wifey's awesome, got me guitar for my birthday last year
I like to mess with mine. I'll do something on the guitar that I know was horrible and ask her what she thought, then sit back and watch her do her best supportive comment searching without saying it was good. Too funny. I end up hearing things like "Well, you didn't staple your toungue to the song sheet" or "you don't sweat much for a fat guy" kind of thing.

Soooo, back to the original topic. Other specific things I've been working on. I've been slowly putting together my next project. "Ride, Captain Ride" by Blues Image. I made a decent bass and drum backing track using Band in a Box and followed it up with a rhythm guitar track, a vocal track, a fills track and a lead track. It's starting to meld, although pretty much none of it is note for note. It is my rendition. yeah, that's it. "Ride, Captain Ride", as performed by the sweaty fat guy.

I also did another take on a Keith Richards' Boot Leg recording of a song he did in Toronto while taking care of some legal problems. A Merle Haggard tune called "Sing Me Back Home". I used the slow, soulful approach keith did on the piano. This itteration was a practice of using three guitars and getting them to fit into a mix. One non-strummy rhythm track and two tracks of heavy fills. Almost lead. Trying my hand at the whole left to right and front to back concepts a fellow GN'er tried to drive through my thick skull. I have not istened to it today yet. It's always worse on day 2.

Oh, and the Autum Colab is still going. One person had to back out, so it's just three of us. We're nearly done, I'm told by a reliable source. :D

Other than that, I saved off KR2's link to the tab and chord sheet for Wicked Games and started to work on it a bit yesterday. It's a real back-off-the-strum rhythm, even in a single guitar arrangement. does help to have a semi-hollow with a Bigsby for some of those eerie tones. 8) 8)

Oh, and my first real 70's Metal song. Well, I think it's my first one. I started trying to see if I could do Iron Maiden's "Run To The Hills". There's never an end to possible material. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Oh, and my first real 70's Metal song. Well, I think it's my first one. I started trying to see if I could do Iron Maiden's "Run To The Hills". There's never an end to possible material. 8)

I love that song! Let m eknow how you get on with it, I did get the Somewhere back in Time tab book about 6 months ago, and decided it was a bit ambitious back then....

I'm working on a couple of Rammstein tracks - Links 2,3,4 & Haifisch, hopefully a few more when I get my new guitar that I can put into drop d :-)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Roy - That's funny and I think your wife is a saint. I would not get that treatment from mine she is brutally honest and I think enjoys knocking me down a bit...in a nice way of course.

The Iron Maiden song sounds interesting. I know our drummer always wanted to play that but we never got around to it and since there's no more band I may have to give it a go.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I love that song! Let m eknow how you get on with it, I did get the Somewhere back in Time tab book about 6 months ago, and decided it was a bit ambitious back then....
It's very ambitious for me. I can only do the simplest parts of the chorus right now. I did spend some time narrowing down some patches on my guitar processor for that type of sound. The simple D-C-G power chords are as far as I've gotten. I need to figure out how to do the rapid stuff next. That'll take a while.
Roy - That's funny and I think your wife is a saint.
Bro, you got no idea.....luck. Only explanation. Luck.
The Iron Maiden song sounds interesting. I know our drummer always wanted to play that but we never got around to it and since there's no more band I may have to give it a go.I never really listened to them. I saw this song on VH1-Classic after a nap or something. I remembered it vaguely from many years ago. The "Marshall" preamp Models on the Boss stuff you've been talking about were used on almost all of the 70's metal patches I've downloaded. I can't go very loud, but from my perspective, it rocks. I also ran it through my Fender Super Champ XD and it held the tone nicely.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Been playing a lot of Sammy Hagar. Direct TV had a concert on with him and the Wabos and next thing I know I'm playing the stuff.

That's a fun concert. Was it the older one with Michael Anthony guesting? Mona Gnader on bass is impressive.
All Mona ............ and I was impressed!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Roy you know I must have seen the same show because when I saw your post it reminded me that I had heard the song recently and thought it might be a good one.

I'm going through a bit of a fuzzy period now. If I keep learning the rhythm and riffs to new songs it's usually pretty straightforward but I'm not really going anywhere with the soloing.

My goal is to learn 10 solo's this year and it might happen but I might have to modify that a bit. I started going back over some of the technical stuff I have and have spent this week trying to memeorize double stops in each key on each 2 adjacent strings. I think I have them pretty much memorized now I just have to start jamming with a BT so I can try and use them.

This is the area I really should be concentrating on but the improvements come at a slow pace and learning new songs keeps me interested but doesn't really do much for my palying other than I now another song.

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

I had a little student appreciation get together at our Guitar School on New Years Eve, and one of my students brought in a CD and said, "man have you heard of this guy (I had) and have you heard this album, I've been listening to it non stop" (I hadn't).

So I popped it into the CD Player and hit play. I heard the first track...well about 10 seconds into it...and hit pause...

"What the....?"

He said, yeah I know....

I listened in awe to the rest of that track. That started my "sickness". The moment I heard the first 10 seconds I knew that I was going to learn this...and ever since that night Ive been working it out note for note, playing in such a way that I have never played before. Its a really difficult song, and I'm now virtually OCD about it. Ive listened to that song and the rest of that CD till it's almost worn through...

That song is "Waves" by Guthrie Govan.

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sean I checked out his Myspace but can't listen at work is he a shredder?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3