Where to put UPS Ba...

Notifications
Clear all

Where to put UPS Battery Backup?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I just purchased a UPS Battery Backup unit from eBay. We had a bad storm about a week ago and I lost power for over 20 hours so I thought I should get one of these for protection. However, my dilema os where to put it? I have 2 choices: In the living room with all my guitar equipment or in the bedroom with my 2 desktop computers. I might get another one to solve the problem but for now I need to place this in the best spot. The unit has 3 outlets for battery and surge protection and 3 outlets for just surge protection. I know they are intended for computer use since if the power goes out it could mess up your computer if not shut down properly. This is where i am leaning towards.

If you were in my shoes and only had one option where would you put the UPS?

Thanks

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

TV

Whatever is most expensive to replace.

My guitar stuff isn't generally left on, so the computer has one and the big screen tv has one. I don't use it to keep either running. I just want time to power down.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I would think computers mainly because I would think they might be more expensive to replace plus they are probably more sensitive to these type of things.

Just curious what guitar equipment do you need to protect? Not your guitars..

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I would think computers mainly because I would think they might be more expensive to replace plus they are probably more sensitive to these type of things.

Just curious what guitar equipment do you need to protect? Not your guitars..

Mostly the amp, pedals, v-amp, mixer, etc. Usually what I do is turn the equipment on during my first practice session of the day and then leave it on. I just about always come back and play again throughout the day. I know I probably should turn it off but I guess I am just lazy! :oops:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

What Nick said.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Computer every time.

I've never considered using an UPS for powering guitar stuff. I guess if the power goes down for any length of time I'd get the accoustic out. My guitar gear is protected by surge protection though.

You don't say how long the UPS is rated to last under load. It may be that it just provides enough time to power down your computer cleanly. The ones I use at work vary between 10 and 30 mins depending on the load. Just enough time to power down our UNIX servers cleanly. The windoze workstations are just surge protected.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks again guys for the feedback...it is rated for 30 minutes. I wouldn't use it for playing the guitar. Just so it would give me time to shut it all down without tha loud POP. I believe if I was using a tube amp it is vital to shut the amp down properly, correct?

Looks like I will use the UPS for the computer.

ReplyQuote