65 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Just read this list from Rolling Stone -

Annyoing Songs

Pretty interesting one, as it has all the chart hitting songs in it.

My annoying songs shall be (with no offense to anyone at all who likes them, this is just IMO) -

1. You're beautiful - James Blunt (Oh well, I guess I would rather sing 'You're pitiful' by Weird Al)
2. Where do you go - No Mercy (Very rhythmically and highly repulsively obnoxious)
3. Still Waiting - Sum41 (uhh, is this punk or some angry constipated guy playing the guitar)

Will add as find more obnoxiousness...lol. :lol:

Lets have your most annoying songs, folks.

(@alangreen)

Anything by the Osmonds, the Bay City Rollers, the Spice Girls, or by any ex-soap actor/actress.

That awful song by the St Winifred's School Choir - There's no-one quite like Grandma, or something like that

Anything by a reality show contestant - Britain's Got Talent, X-Factor, American Idol etc.

Foot ball songs about how England are going to win the World/ European Championships when the Wooden Spoon is more likely

Anything the UK enters for the Eurovision Song Contest (since the lovely Mary Hopkins came second)

Loads of others, I'm sure.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

1. You're beautiful - James Blunt

Good pick, mate. Great start, going to be hard to top that.
Anything by the Osmonds, the Bay City Rollers, the Spice Girls, or by any ex-soap actor/actress.

That awful song by the St Winifred's School Choir - There's no-one quite like Grandma, or something like that

Anything by a reality show contestant - Britain's Got Talent, X-Factor, American Idol etc.

Foot ball songs about how England are going to win the World/ European Championships when the Wooden Spoon is more likely

Anything the UK enters for the Eurovision Song Contest (since the lovely Mary Hopkins came second)

Loads of others, I'm sure.

sorry, Rahul - Alan's topped your list. Pretty close to what I'd have chosen - then again, we are roughly the same age and grew up listening to the same stuff.

I have to add Leona Lewis to that list - even our US cousins fell for that one. I know Alan's covered it already (Anything by a reality show contestant) but that bleedin' awful dirge deserves a special mention.

And I'll add novelty hits - Nice One Cyril, Blue Is The Colour, Shaddap A Your Face etc - to the list.

The last few versions of "I get by with a little help from my friends" - Wet Wet Wet (it was!) and Billy Bragg - why bother doing a note-for-note version of the Beatles version, when Joe Cocker's done the definitive version?

Anything by Boy bands....

Anything by Girl bands....

unless either of the last two actually has a member who can play an instrument or sing......

Anything by anyone, basically, nowadays......

Thank the lord I've still got plenty of 50's/60's/70's/80's stuff to listen to....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I'm sure there are more but the one that comes to mind immediately is Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Freebird - long, whining and outta tune.

(And this is personal opinion, so don't try to persuade me how soulful and touching FB is, Vic :wink: )

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

+1 to Freebird, Leona Lewis (v. talented vocalist, but why such crap songs?), pretty much every one of Alan Green's suggests, and James Blunt. And that song by James Blunt.

I also hate that one he did about 1973 - seriously, if he was hanging out all night in clubs in 1973 I'm sure his PR company are fudging a few of his personal details, 'cause no way is he early 30s in that case.

Also, that one who sings "I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair" - creative license doesn't = completely rewriting history. I'm sorry, but no, that just wont cut it.

Also, anyone (like those above) who have apparently 'come from nowhere' off an album 'recorded in their bedroom during half term, with the songs composed while brushing their teeth each morning of that week' and finding popularity due solely to 'the power of the internet.' Why is this now shorthand for 'serious artistic cred'? Purlease.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ah, just remembered that everything by Crazy Frog is terrible to get on with. Esp when people pass on by with Crazy Frog's music blaring... :shock:

Any by the way, the list of people on Rolling Stone of theirannoying songs is here.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Pretty good list by RS. Lots of over-played stuff. The whole "oh god, not this song again" thing. Especially with Cher's synthed vocals. Ugh!

But, I fixed all that. XM radio and MP3 players. :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

Great post, Rahul. There are so many songs that annoy me, but since this is a guitar forum and I primarily listen to guitar driven music, my list is - anything by Green Day, Nickleback, John Mayer and Blink 182 (or any of their clones).

Dan

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

anything by Green Day, Nickleback, John Mayer and Blink 182 (or any of their clones).

Ouch, I like all those but Blink.. But everyone has a list dont they :)

off the top of my head.
Anything from Johnny Cash
Most anything from Van Halen
Most anything from Def Leopard
I agree with what Vic said about Girl Bands and Boy Bands

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

anything by Green Day, Nickleback, John Mayer and Blink 182 (or any of their clones).

Ouch, I like all those but Blink.. But everyone has a list dont they :)

off the top of my head.
Anything from Johnny Cash
Most anything from Van Halen
Most anything from Def Leopard
I agree with what Vic said about Girl Bands and Boy Bands

Jim

Haha. Sorry, no offense. I thought the same thing when I saw 'Freebird' on another list. On the other hand, with the exception of a few Cash songs I agree with your list.

Dan

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I thought the same thing when I saw 'Freebird' on another list.

LOL Thats funny, I am the same way. I dont know why but I have always kind of liked Freebird.. but it always seems like noone else does. The only exception on my Johnny Cash list is "Fulsom Blues" or whatever the name is. My dad just play the heck out of Cash and it really burned me out.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

In keeping with the theme of the original post, Disturbed's first single (ooh ah ah ah) has always annoyed me.
Jim, you like the Flaming Lips?

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

Come on now people, I love Freebird :mrgreen:

As for dislikes, gotta put anything by Bon Jovi on my list (or any of the so-called 80's hair metal bands). Never been a big Genesis fan either.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

To many to list, I think I dislike more than I like.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5