Clear all

Amazing Guitar

31 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
19.6 K Views
(@flamekat)
Topic starter  

There is a link on the Guitar Noise homepage which leads to an ad for an instructional video by Andrew Koblick entitled "Amazing Guitar" or "Amazing 7 DayGuitar". Has anyone purchased this product?
At less than $30 it would not be a huge loss if it was no good (and there is a money back guarantee) but I would like to hear any comments all the same.
Cheers
Flamekat

(@jstar)
Eminent Member

Okay, Flamekat, I recieved my Amazing Guitar DVD yesterday, so I can now give you, and everyone else wondering, a proper review.  

Unfortunately,   :( this product is not for me.  I finished the whole thing in one sitting (it is supposed to be a 7 day course) and was rather disappointed that there wasn't really anything new on it.  But I am an advanced player, as I told Andrew when I ordered it, and I really don't think it should have been marketed for everyone as he has it advertised.  I wouldn't have minded finding a few new teaching approaches instead, but that wasn't to be either.

Okay, here's the GOOD NEWS.   :) The video is really well done!  Although I thought the few music-overs in it were overdone and unnecessary, the rest of video is a well-thought out, concise, step-by-step approach for improving your technique.  I would recommend it mostly for intermediates, but also for really serious beginners who want to put in the time to get their hands into good shape as soon as possible.  

Andrew gives you exercises to work the fretting and picking hands separately before putting them back together.  Then he works on teaching you not only how to play a major scale but how to work on it so that you can see it on the fretboard as you go.  Then he progresses to teaching you how  play it in thirds and 4 note runs.  All of these are good techniques to help you with learning other scales as well as starting to improvise using  them.

As for the fretboard guidebook  that he offers as a download, it is an explanation of the CAGED system.  Yes, it is true that many guitarists never come across this information, but I learned it in Fretboard Logic years ago.  Again, it IS very well presented, so if you don't know it or want a refresher, you will probably enjoy it.  He has a new video out to accompany it, but I didn't order it, so I can't review it, but I would assume it would be of the same good quality as the rest of the material.  

My only critique of the download is that I would have like to see the pentatonics included in the explanation of the CAGED system.  I personally like to start teaching the concept with those because it is easier to visulize the chords and they are more useful for immediate improvising.  It is then easy to add in the other notes to form scales and modes.  But that is MY preference for guitar.  I'm sure other teachers like to start with the full scale and then chop it down (which I think is better for piano).

Personally, I feel bad about ordering something that I have to return.  I would NOT have even ordered it to begin with if I had any inkling it was so far out of the ball park for me.  Oh well.  At least others can learn from my experience.  

If you are still undecided or just want some free finger exercises, plus some interesting info on the great players of the past, sign up for Andrew's newsletter and try it out for a while.  

Hope this post helps.   8)
Julie

Music is therapy. Music is celebration. Music is everywhere. Music is life!

ReplyQuote
(@jstar)
Eminent Member

Okay, I have to add this.  Today, I got another newletter from Amazing Guitar.  Last week, I just thought it was a fluke or maybe just something he does with new subscribers, but now I know different.  Be warned, if you sign up for the newsletter -- it's two a week!  Seems a bit much to me, even needy.

Just want you to know what you are getting into.

ReplyQuote
(@jstar)
Eminent Member

Okay, another day goes by and I have another complaint.  >:(  If you give this guy your email address when you sign up for the course, after about a week you start getting email that says:  Start Day 1; Now it's time for Day 2.   I'm sure there's a day three to seven, but I was so disgutsted that I removed my name from the list after that.  

Hello, I have a life here!  Just because I order a guitar course doesn't mean that I necessarily start it on YOUR schedule.  Perhaps it comes right before I'm scheduled to leave on a business trip or vacation or I suddenly get sick or someone I know winds up in the hospital.  

Okay, I wouldn't mind a gentle nudge or inquiry, because, sure, I might have to put it aside when I received it and need a little motivation to get going.  (Personally, I cleared my afternoon to get started on this thing, because I HAD been waiting for it.)  But this guy is downright PUSHY!!!  His language just annoys me.   Like he has ALL the answers.  Trust me, he doesn't.  His program is good, but it's only one small piece of the big guitar puzzle.  

Again, just want you all to know what you are getting into.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Well, I just got a copy of the "Amazing Guitar" lessons the other day, so I'll post my opinion in a few once I get into it a bit. So far 2 things that kinda bug me a bit:
1) I ordered the DVD version of the lesson, and it doesn't play on my DVD player. I have to play it with Windows Media Player, as it's in "VCD" (?) format. Wasn't to thrilled about that, as it wasn't explained when ordering. I wanted to take it to a friends house to play, but she doesn't have a computer, so out of luck.
2) Like jstar said, you get bombarded with e-mails by Andrew. I think I've gotten 6 or 7 in the past 3 days. Some of them are to encourage you on in your lessons, some are just plain pointless if you ask me. I'll have to see if I can opt out of getting these.
Hopefully the lessons are worth it. I'll let you know.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

What exactly is the caged system?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member

I think its where you learn the chords C, A, G, E, and D. There's probably something else to it, but I don't know it. *shrug*

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Nope CAGED is an organizational method of learning the fretboard. It is based on the shape of the chords.

Fretboard logic is great for it, so is Sokolow's Fretboard Roadmaps...

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you go to Greybeard's Pages, you'll find the 5 box patterns, based on the CAGED system - hope it helps.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I would recomend these lessons to beginners for sure. Intermediate players might pick up a thing or two, mostly it will definately help to strengthen your fretting hand with some good warm up exercises. I would not recomend this for experienced players. If you get the lessons, be sure to stick with it every day, and you should definetly see some good results in strength and playing speed. Also has some good picking exercises that will help with alternet picking. The fretboard guidebook on the CAGED system is quite good also. Plus I got a set of strings. Can't complain. Overall, I'd say unless you are a very experienced player, you won't be disappointed with this product, and if you just happen to be, he has a money back policy if you're not happy. I'm keeping my copy.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Well I'm through day 2.

The video is actually is an okay way to force yourself to do the exercises.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Okay. I took the plunge. $30 isn't much. I blow that every weekend. At least this way we can get some more feedback.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@arcmage)
Trusted Member

I ordered it today as well. I have been looking for a local instructor but have not found one for me yet, so I figured I would give this a shot. I will say the link to the fretboard guide did not work for me. I ordered it from work during lunch and tried to access it from home later.... that may have been the problem. Anyway, I emailed the place about my problem and they gave me a new link within 3 hrs, so that is not bad time wise to get a problem solved. Just thought I would pass that along.

BTW, I did mention that I found out about it here on the order form and said I would post feedback here as well. Does guitarnoise get any kickback from us ordering this or anything from the "affiliates"? I hope so, but thought I would ask anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Arcmage, could you give us a review of your assessment of the product?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@arcmage)
Trusted Member

Corbind, I will as soon as I receive the vcd .... I just ordered it this last thurs. As of yet it has not arrived. It just shipped out sat. via normal us post.... so hopefully I will get it by this upcoming weekend ;)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3