Skip to content
Starting out fresh,...

Notifications
Clear all

Starting out fresh, Mel Bay Method anyone?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi:

As a High School student, I tried to learn in earnest to play the Guitar - and unfortunatly I was too young and had other interests that distracted me from the study.  Eventually, I dropped out.

So now, as I head towards the big 4-0; my desire to learn the guitar has taken over and I again want to learn.  (But this time, I have the girl, the job, the kids, and the junk.)

So I tore off to the music store and pondered the selection of materials.  My goals are to be able to competently play, and be able to pick up a song book and figure out the notes (read music.)  I came across the "Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method" and saw Grades 1-3 in the store (gasp, and the series goes through 7!)

I liked the look of the series.  In the first volume, the start out with the basics:  Here's how you hold the guitar, here are what notes look like, and then they proceed onto the notes on each string.  As I proceeded, I remembered that the material was the book I had learned from earlier (em, 17 years ago - is that possible?)  Each string is presented with the notes, some warm up exercises - then some nonsensical songs composed of the few (but increasing) notes you know.  All proceeds well and you are gifted with some very 'cool' rewards in the music.  (The G string gives you "Aura Lee" (Elvis' Love me tender) D string gives you "Amazing Grace.")  As you learn, new rewards in familiar songs.

So in a week, I've made it through to the E string (whew, tough work!)  And this is where, from my perspective, things begin to get a bit hairy.  Chords are introduced - LOOK AT ALL THOSE NOTES!  Fortunatly, they post little reminders of the chords above the notes (this is a C chord, dummy!)  It works for me, though.  Hairy - but it's so far working.  

As I slog through, I have been looking for some easy 'jam' material to have fun with - which is when I chanced upon this site and the "Easy songs for beginners" section.  What a pleasant find!  Quick and easy fun, with a sprinkle of style added (here's a step by step on how to add flourishes to some common chords.)

(I'm trying to mix the work with the play.)

A few questions for the more accomplished players:

1.)  Mel Bay's material - will the courses lead me to accomplished playing (with time and effort thrown in?)  Is this the right way to go?

2.)  Am I a fool for trying this on my own?  How far into the Mel Bay series should I go before I need to break down and seek a professional teacher?  Is it a bad move to try this alone in the first place?

3.)  Out of curiosity:  If I play 1 - 2 hours a night for 5 nights a week, how much time will it take to become reasonably good?  (ie.  Can pick up music and play a song after a few practice sessions?)  

4.)  Is it good practice to take a method like "Mel Bay" where he INSISTS on teaching you the notes; or should I skip trying to read music and go with TABlature?  (Is TAB a shorcut for fingering, or is it prevelant in Guitar music and you need to be able to read TAB and notes to get by?)

I have a head full of steam and I'm moving ahead - any thoughts are welcome - I am looking to improve and want to become a good player.  Not looking for shortcuts, want to learn and become solid.

Thanks for your comments!
drew

(@fourhorsemen)

Hello
Your in a more advanced position than me (you actually have a guitar! I dont yet) so I cant give you much advice but what I can tell you is that the Mel Bay Complete Method that you mentioned is regarded as one of the best learning methods around and has been around quite some time. So your on the correct path. I would also find a quality teacher in your area to use in conjunction with the book. That way your getting more input and learning faster because they can check your technique etc. This is what I plan to do when I get my guitar (when I have the ££££'s)
As far as if you should skip learning standard notation (reading music) in favour of just learning TAB, I think that would be a great mistake. TAB is good as a quick reminder but they are no substitute for standard notation. Plus TAB is only used in guitar music, not with other instruments, so its limiting yourself if you want to work alongside players of different instruments.

So overall I suggust continuing the use of the Mel Bay method, as well as obtaining a teacher.
Good Luck
Patrick

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Mel Bay's series will teach you to read music -- whether or not you become an accomplished guitarist with it is pretty much up to you.  I learned from them in the 70s, and have taught from them for years -- there have been some changes in that time, but very few, so they're the same books you remember.

You'll benefit by working with a teacher in ways that you can't predict starting out... although the books do show pictures of playing position, hand position, holding the pick, etc., they're static -- you can develop bad habits without knowing it, and they'll be hard to break.  That's probably the single greatest benefit to having a teacher from the beginning, is heading off that 're-learning' process.

The amount of time you practice is important -- you can't become proficient in 20 minutes a week -- but the actual amount of time isn't as important as the quality of the time you spend.  If your time is focused, concentrated, directed towards achieving specific goals, you'll go farther in the same hour than if you're just doing it routinely.  As a result, it's hard to say how long it will take you -- some people will be pretty good after just a year or two of diligent practice, others won't catch up to them in four or five years, even though they both practice the same amount of time every day.

Sight reading is an exceptionally useful skill.  I'd recommend every guitarist learn to read standard notation.    You don't need to be able to sight read to be a good guitarist, but it sure helps to be able to decipher a tune you've never heard before, and lots more music is available in standard notation than in TAB.

Tom

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for the thoughtful comments.

With regards to a teacher:  What is a typical cost - what should I expect to pay?  What is fair and reasonable?  What do I look for in a good instructor?

Cheers,
drew

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Drew:

I'm the resident banjo guy here on GuitarNoise.  I am a fairly accomplished banjo picker, but over the years I have only dabbled in guitar - until a couple of years ago, when I decided it was way past the right time to get serious about learning some music theory (including reading standard notation) and get better on guitar.  

I picked up a copy of the Mel Bay "Complete Method for Modern Guitar."  It is all 7 "grades" in one volume, and I also got the Grade 1 DVD and the Grade 2 CD.

It is definitely helping me learn to read standard notation, and I think it is a good foundation for a broad range of guitar technique.

I am also working through the EXCELLENT body of material produced by David Hodge here on GuitarNoise.  This is an unbelievable free resource.

One of my problems is that I have a TON of different materials, and I have not kept focus on just one or two sources of information.  Therefore, I get distracted and while I have a lot of fun, I'm afraid it has slowed down my real progress.

SO, my suggestions would be to first decide if you need to find a live teacher.  To me, this would be based upon your comfort with your basic technique - are you confident that your body and hand positions are correct, etc.  A teacher can help you spot and correct problems in these areas that you might not be aware of.

Next, decide on just one or two primary sources of materials to focus upon.  I think the Mel Bay course and David's stuff would make a great choice.

Then it is a matter of keeping your course, practicing regularly, and evaluating your progress.  You will find it helpful to record yourself periodically, and using that to judge how you are doing.  When you feel like you are stuck, you should go back and listen to previous self-recordings.  This will reassure you that you are indeed improving.

Lastly, let me suggest to you and others that it might be good to correspond with each other as we work through the Mel Bay course and David's materials.  Maybe we can help each other, and provide some encouragement.  If you (and others) are interested in this, let me know.  We can use this forum thread to correspond, and if there is a lot of interest, maybe we can convince Paul to give us our own forum here on GuitarNoise.  What do you think?

Regards,

-- Russ  

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey Russ:

Lastly, let me suggest to you and others that it might be good to correspond with each other as we work through the Mel Bay course and David's materials.  Maybe we can help each other, and provide some encouragement.

I think that's a GREAT idea.  I have been going at it now for a few weeks and am feeling fairly good about my progress.  I have made it across all of the strings and can play all of the songs fairly well.  After the 6th string, they begin introducing chords, wow - what fun!  

I've also gone to the trouble of printing out quite a few of David's lessons.  I think the "Easy songs for beginners" is great - it's a fun break from the 'hardcore' Mel Bay learning - and a great intorduction to basic playing styles.  Really well done!  (I feel like a big shot - now that I can play a basic version of Horse with No Name :-)  

It would be fun to share thoughts and discuss the course materials.  I would guess that there are other beginners somewhat near the very beginning whom would also love to discuss the basics and perhaps the Mel Bay method in particular.  And I think it's very encouraging to share in the experience.

Does Paul troll the forums, or would we need to email him directly about a potential forum for Mel Bay beginners who are sort of going it alone?  I have someone at work who has also just started to play - this is his first instrument and first shot at reading music - he too would benefit from discussions here as well - as he's going the Mel Bay method as well.

Paul, what do you think?

Cheers,
drew

ps.  btw.  After the angst of getting your hands around the last string, it seems to ease up a bit as they introduce the first few chords.  Really nice lessons where you pluck and strum different progressions.  Again, rewarding after the 'tough' finger lessons.  I am liking the method so far :-)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Jamey Andreas published a lot of work over on his site to use with the Mel Bay course (I'm assuming it's the same book), although I got the impression that he figured the Mel Bay book on its own wasn't enough but needed his personal touch. Check it out - you might find it useful.

Clickety click

And you certainly won't regret learning to sight-read.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@garytalley)
Trusted Member

In answer to your questions:
(1) The Mel Bay approach will teach you to be an accomplished reader, not necessarily an accomplished player. Reading notation is useful, but don't DEPEND on reading. You have to develop your ear as well. IMHO, developing your ear is more important. Keep learning to read notation, learn to read tablature,too.
(2) No, you're not a fool, but a good teacher can help a lot.
(3) It depends on what you practice and what your goals are? Do you want to play rhythm to a song and sing it? Do you want to play the melody? Do you want to play in a band?
(4) Don't quit learning to read, but learn tablature,too.

www.guitarforsongwriters.com

creator of #1 video"Guitar Playing for Songwriters"

ReplyQuote