Clear all

The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar

30 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
12.9 K Views
(@burzum)
Topic starter  

The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar.

Through my search for information on guitar, I have come across this book.

Sounds to my liking, but the site has so much praise on it, that it looks like a tv ad.

So finally to my question, Is this book really worth the 30 some dollars(w/ s&h)?

Will it really help me play guitar better, or should i just forget I ever heard of this book?

Thanks!

Patrick D.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Don't buy the book.  It's a waste of time.  Everyone's study habits are different.  Why force a system that worked for someone else onto yourself?  Figure out what works for you.

Just keep it simple.  Pick a song and learn it.  Learn by reading notes, or tabulature if you have to.  Then spend SOME time on other topics:  chord construction, scales, etc.  Most of all, keep studying.  This is not something tha can happen in a few years.  Some guitar player study for a lifetime.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Spiderpain, I'm not slamming you at all.  I'm just wondering, do you have the book?

I don't.

We do have a review of it on the front page I think.

ReplyQuote
(@burzum)
Topic starter  

It is that bad?

Hm, Anyone else with the book care to explain if it's good or bad?

Patrick D.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I don't own it and I've only read parts of it. I have three students who do own it and, as one might expect, one raves about it, one thinks it's good and the other thinks it's a bit overrated.

As Nick mentioned, there is a review of it on our "Reviews" page, which you can reach via the links on the top of any page.

The book deals primarily with the actual physical aspects and mental attitude of playing the guitar - how to hold your hands, how to keep tenseness out of your body, how correct posture (and mental awareness) can
make your playing better.

A lot of people don't even care (or even teach!) about these things. If you are worried about picking up bad physical playing habits, or if you find that you're playing in pain, then you might want to consider it.

Jamey's website does have a bulletin board and I'm sure the people there would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have as well.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@burzum)
Topic starter  

Ok, Thanks a lot!

Patrick D.

ReplyQuote
(@samer_sultan)
Eminent Member

Hey Varg is that you ;-)

Never turn your back on friends.

ReplyQuote
(@burzum)
Topic starter  

Yeah, Jail sucks!

Patrick D.

ReplyQuote
(@samer_sultan)
Eminent Member

LOL

i thought Varg didnt play guitar any more because he didnt think it was a Norse instrument?

LOL

Never turn your back on friends.

ReplyQuote
(@burzum)
Topic starter  

Well..

It isn't, but I got bored in here and I am considering making another Burzum CD!

Patrick D.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If you are making another cd can you do another with darkly organic Pagan neo-Nazi post-Nietzschean philosophies?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

So, what do we reckon on Jamey's book, then?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@burzum)
Topic starter  

Sure thing nick.

Well that review that is on this site made me order it..

I hope it arrives soon, reading additional stuff on that site makes me feel like i've been screwing up since the beginning.

Patrick D.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Nick,

I don't have the book.  The books I listed is all I have and they cover everything in music theory.  I wouldn't put much faith in this book.  The title just screams, "It's my way of practicing the guitar or you will FAIL!"  Then again I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.  I've read alot of articles and stuff about practicing.  I just tell people to try to spend a little time on everything.  Or just do what makes you happy at the moment until you get bored and do something else.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Varg?  Are you guys talking about the dude that went to jail for church burning and stuff.  The guy in the book titled, "Lords of Chaos"?  I thought that dude went to jail for life.  Looks like I'll have to get that book out again and read it for the 20th time...lol

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2