Notifications
Clear all

A few questions about singing

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@crestfallen)
Topic starter  

I'm just gonna come out and say that I really suck at singing. I started taking voice lessons around a month ago and I've noticed a decent improvement in my voice. Before I couldn't sing one note, and now I can sing from what I think is called C3 (The 3rd C on the keyboard) to C5. But, I have a few problems/questions and I was wondering if you could help solve/answer them.

The first problem I have is kind of weird. My music teacher says I'm a baritone singer and for the most part that's true because I hit the lower notes more frequently. The weird part is that even though I hit those lower notes better I feel uncomfortable and I usually prefer to sing in a higher range. By higher I don't mean my head voice higher I just don't like to sing way down to where someone like Josh Turner might go. So basically my question is that is it normal to feel that way?

The next thing is that I tend to exhale a little to much breath when I sing, giving that kind of breathy sound. How can I help limit the amount of breath a exhale while singing?

And this last question is kind of to prove some of my friends wrong. Some of my friends, all of which can not sing, say that singing is a talent your born with and that it's impossible to learn how to sing if you naturally suck. I personally disagree with them and try to tell them its just like learning to play guitar or any other instrument in that you can become good if you practice a lot. So basically is it possible for someone who can't hit a note to learn how to sing as good as someone who was born with the talent to sing?

(@alangreen)

The next thing is that I tend to exhale a little to much breath when I sing, giving that kind of breathy sound. How can I help limit the amount of breath a exhale while singing?

Your voice teacher will have exercises for you to help you develop the control you need here.
And this last question is kind of to prove some of my friends wrong. Some of my friends, all of which can not sing, say that singing is a talent your born with and that it's impossible to learn how to sing if you naturally suck. I personally disagree with them and try to tell them its just like learning to play guitar or any other instrument in that you can become good if you practice a lot. So basically is it possible for someone who can't hit a note to learn how to sing as good as someone who was born with the talent to sing?

Ah, yes, we've all come across "My mate says...." Your friends do not know what they are talking about. You may never be Pavarotti, but you get good at what you practise and with plenty of practise you will develop competence.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I truly like the way you describe your situation, and how you put your questions.

Agreeing with Alan, I believe your teacher can give you exercises and you can work the diaphragm and not deplete yourself of air, which sometimes happens to me with longer lines. I probably put too much force into it, and run out of air when it is needed most, often at the end where emphasis or sustain is needed, so have inserted inhaling stops, but they aren't a beat long, and shouldn't be noticeable, visually either - as people 'watch' you? :shock: That's hard or unusual, so go with the exercises.

Concerning being born without talent or without a singing voice, I believe that is rare. Certainly possible, but it probably doesn't apply to you, and is not the issue. You must train what you have or practice as Alan says. I'd like to give some unusual or weird examples, but it's how I teach, not singing, but anything... with examples. I'd make paint or meal ingredients analagous to your voice. First, you could give me and some artist the same paints, brushes and a canvas and the artist could make a nice work of art, and my rendering would look like grade school. That's either because I don't have talent, or don't have training and practice. As a matter of fact, when I studied art for just one class, I was told that there was potential to hone into a skill with technique. I got better better at the end of the session, but still a long way to go. :roll:

Then, the chef competition shows make me think of another example. You can give two people the same ingredients (ie. comparing the raw materials to a basic voice) and one will produce a better dish or tasty food out of it, than the other. Give the more challenged person training and practice, and I think the issue is resolved. You will get there with practice.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Almost anyone can sing with enough lessons and/or practice. It takes time to learn to control the muscles.

I used to be a terrible singer, but with enough practice I learned to be a good singer.

However we all have our personal limitations and potential. I'll never be a great singer like Mark Murphy. Even though we are both baritones, I don't have the instrument he has.

I suppose there are others with limitations that would restrict them from even being a good singer, but I would think these people would be few and far between.

Learning to play the voice, is like learning to play any other musical instrument. You have to pay your dues, learn the proper technique, and put the time into developing the technique. Don't let anyone tell you anything different.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote