Dealing with a lisp while singing

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
10.7 K Views
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Now, I've been practicing singing but I always find that when i hear myself sing i have a bit of a lisp, and i do have a bit of a lisp but it's not as bad as some would think, but oddly enough it just accentuates when i sing. I'm just curious what i should do about this, it's very annoying and somewhat embarassing really (but it could be worse), should I see a speech therapist to help with it or would i be able to practice it on my own with some sort of speech exercises?

Steve-0

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Steve-0

Well, if it's really bothering you, then yeah, I'd go see a speech therapist.

But don't let it keep you from singing. Joe Cocker has a lisp and he is a fantastic singer.

Record yourself and listen back. You may be able to work some of these things out on your own, or at least minimize and make these sounds pleasing.

Good luck and keep Rockin'

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@portia)
Reputable Member

Yeah, things like lisps usually stick out more when you sing than when you speak. I used to have a minor one and never even realized it until one of my voice instructors pointed it out. It is possible to work on it yourself - that's what I did - but it takes a lot of trial and error with positioning of the tongue and really listening to yourself and LOTS of practice (I think it took almost a year before it became the way I naturally spoke) - although a speach therapist could be an easier route if you have the time/money/inclination.

ReplyQuote
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member

Isaac Brock has a lisp, and I LOVE his vocals, they sound so unique.

I say use it to your advantage and develop your own style with it :)

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

ReplyQuote
(@bluenotefla)
Estimable Member

Use the lisp to your advantage and make it be what makes you unique. The thing to remember is that you are doing something most would not even try to do so have a good time with it.

Life is not what you did. It's what you are doing.

ReplyQuote
(@aussie-rocker)
Eminent Member

Hmmm. Perhaps you're gay...... Only jokin'.

Some chicks like lisps. They reckon it's sexy. (You're not a girl, are you?)

I don't have a lisp, but I'm practising at it!

Good luck.

ReplyQuote