8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Anybody else tried this?

Yesterday I bought myself a Korg Ca-30 chromatic tuner to use with guitar.
It recognises any note played and gives you an on-screen readout of what the note was - C, F#, or whatever.

After fiddling with the guitar for a bit I decided to try it out with my voice.

A couple of weeks ago I spent a couple of sessions running up and down the neck and singing the note names as I went. I also had a few goes at singing a basic C major scale - Doh, Ray Mi, etc.

So I thought I'd try and see what would happen if I tried singing the same C scale without support (or prior cue) from the guitar.

To my great astonishment (and delight) I hit the C first off, plus all the others on the way up (according to the tuner).

So I'm wondering if this was just a fun gimmick, or whether it's a potentially useful tool to to help me learn to sing? I hit the mark on the second try too, but when I tried an hour later the results were nowhere near as good, so I've still got a good long way to go, even on that basic exercise.

I'm thinking along the lines of a few scales, and also looking at the melody line on sheet music and just singing along the line, checking my voice against the tuner as I go.

Daft idea? Fraught with peril? Or a good thing to do?

Cheers Chris.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've got the same tuner....as an experiment, I once tried running through the scales, the results were....well, Illuminating to say the least....I always thought that even if I didn't have much of a voice, at least it was in tune....

To be honest, it wasn't far off, but I was sharp on some notes and flat on others...

So maybe it could make a good exercise, though I don't know quite how you'd structure it, or how long a practise session would last....I tend to warm up my voice by playing a couple of songs through, and mumbling my way through the vocals, gradually increasing volume....

What has helped recently has been the tuesday night sessions in the pub... trying to make yourself heard without a mic over half-a-dozen acoustics is a great way of developing power and projection...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Ive done the same thing, both with the tuner and with singing scales. Like Vic I am often off a little.

I find, if nothing else, it is good for learning to hold notes, because you can see the results of adjustment.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Tuning your voice is really tough.It might be even tougher than playing the most difficult riffs :oops:

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Daft idea? Fraught with peril? Or a good thing to do?

Cheers Chris.

A while back, there was a post in one of the forums with a bunch of links to online vocal lessons. One of those lessons was dedicated to the topic of training your voice using a chromatic tuner. So, you're obviously not the first one :-)

Try searching the forums for the pointer .. I don't remember more details.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

singing into a mic with the amp louder than your voice is also a good way to find out if your pitch and tone are decent.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

A while back, there was a post in one of the forums with a bunch of links to online vocal lessons. One of those lessons was dedicated to the topic of training your voice using a chromatic tuner. So, you're obviously not the first one :-)

Try searching the forums for the pointer .. I don't remember more details.

Thanks Vink, I'll try the search. :D

I'm trying to build a bit of voice work into my daily practice, but a bit more informed opinion would be handy before I get too far down the track.

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

try getting a backing track for a song you know well, and record yourself singing. Now THAT is illuminating. it really makes it impressive when people can sing, as i cant.
I can sing reasonably in-tune most of the time(havent got the greatest voice though) , but most of that goes out the window after a beer or three, and is replaced by volume. am i the only one? :lol:

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote