Clear all

Finding one's own voice?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bennettp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Heya'. So I can sing well, but it seems that my voice switches its sound SO much, I can sing one way, then sound completely different, but when you hear all these acoustic singers, they have their own distinct sound, any tips on making my voice, well... my own?
Thanks a bunch!

-Bennett

(@jerboa)
Estimable Member

If you're like me at all, you get a certain sound for a song in your head, based on who you have heard sing it. Then, when trying to sing it yourself you try to make the song sound like it is in your head.

It's been a struggle for me to try to forget all of that, and just sing the song.

A friend of mine is a Jr. High music teacher. She's constantly complaining to me about her kids trying to sound like their favorite artists. She'll vent, "Look...you're not Vanessa Hudgins, or Zach Efron! Stop trying to sound like them and just sing the ^&*^& song!!!" (at the time High School Musical was the big thing with her kids...everyone auditioned with songs from it)

So, my advice is to not worry about finding your own sound. That comes from not trying to mimic someone else's sound. :)

(at least for me, that is what I am trying to do)

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@bennettp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, at least I'm trying to sound like High School Musical ;) haha
Just joking, but it's like I hear a song, and then I hear what it sounds like, in comparison to other artists I like, and I suppose that's why I'm havin' trouble.
I suppose the same goes for lyrics, huh? Just go with what comes to me...
I have a lot of work to do. :P
Thanks a bunch, I'll try to stray from influences, maybe I'll have a music free week, huh? lol

-Bennett

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

While I agree with the advice about singing a song your own way, I would also say that finding one's own style comes largely from studying and learning from established singers. There's a difference between slavish imitatiion (e,g, turning oneself into a clone of Robert Plant for a Led Zep tribute band) and adapting vocal stylings from great singers.

A lot can be learned by listening to one's idols and trying out some of their stuff. Not all of it will fit one's own voice, of course (I love Tom Waits but my voice is closer to Ryan Adams in terms of gruffness/clarity), but trying out new things will always help--even if only by defining what one cannot do.

Most of the great masters learned the craft of painting by copying works by other great masters; this gave them insight into certain styles as well as the choices that earlier painters made.

I'm no master, I assure you, but I can learn a lot by trying out some of Merle Haggard's vocal styles. And I'm not in any danger of turning into a clone, alas!

So, learn to recognize your own style by trying to sing like the singers you admire, but cast a wide net and always remember that you are looking to build your own style.

Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@bennettp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Haha, Tom Waits, I tried to sing Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Pat Metheny's version) with Tom Waits voice, and I got one line through and I broke out in cough, I have no idea how he does it. Some of my musical idols are Badly Drawn Boy and Sondre Lerche, but some of their low notes I can't hit, you have any tips for expanding your lowest note? Well thanks for the tips Jersey Jack.

-Bennett

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member

Jersey Jack's advice is spot on. Your sound is a mix of people who have influenced you, and the way you incorporate bits and pieces into your singing. Some things you will be able to do well, others not so well.

The key is to not try to imitate an artist's voice when trying his/her song. (Unless your heart is set on forming that Wham! tribute band...then imitate George Michael to your heart's content. :roll: )

But to sing it 'your' way. (Which can include things from that artist that you also do well).

I was going to advise picking some popular songs that you like, and listen to several people's way of singing it.

Christmas songs are great for that, since *everyone* has put out Christmas albums!

Newer artists covering classics is another good source to see how different singers approach the same piece.

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Haha, Tom Waits, I tried to sing Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Pat Metheny's version) with Tom Waits voice, and I got one line through and I broke out in cough, I have no idea how he does it. Some of my musical idols are Badly Drawn Boy and Sondre Lerche, but some of their low notes I can't hit, you have any tips for expanding your lowest note? Well thanks for the tips Jersey Jack.

-Bennett

Actually I heard somewhere (it may have been on this very list) that Tom's vocal style is based on two practices:

1. keep song keys low enough to get your voice living at the low end of your range, diping at times a bit below your comfort zone;

2. sing softly, without blowing too much air (this is what should normally do in the lower range anyway).

Now we all don't have the "beautiful malady" of Tom's voice--its natural gruffness--but you'd be surprised how these two practices can bring out whatever natural gruffness you have!

Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote