Skip to content
for those who sing....

Notifications
Clear all

for those who sing...ever get the feeling?

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all,

I have recently started singing with some locals. We are trying diferent things, just trying to feel each other out and see our limitations. Everything is quite new, but I think we get some decent work in. However, I happen to notice that when we record my voice or the sound is not what it feels or sounds as we are playing.

Is this normal? Could it be the recording equipment?

The other members seem to be very pleased, but I do not.

How much of the music we hear and try to emulate is mixed?

I would need some good information about microphones and proper usage, as well, as using different effects.

any comment or links are much appreciated.

KK

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

One thing that (for me anyway) greatly improved the sound of my voice recordings was adding reverb. It makes everything warmer, and much more like it originally sounded.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi KarmaKing,

I agree with xq5a, at least that has been my experience. In a live situation the listener is hearing your voice as it is being reflected off all the surfaces of the room. When you record directly into the microphone that reverberation does not happen so adding a little bit of reverb funnily enough gives it a more natural sound. As far as a mic is concerned, the better the mic the better your voice will sound, I use a Sure SM58, these are great quality and very robust, this model has stood the test of time.

Cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Is it just your voice or everybodies?

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies so far. we meet again on the weekend, so I'll try to tinker around with it a bit see what results we get.
Is it just your voice or everybodies?
I am the only one singing, so It is just mine, but I also notice that the intstruments don't sound that good either

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

well from what you said I believe its the mic, but really nobody imagines their voice as it is recorded.

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

probably either the mic or what you're recording into. it's hard to get a good live recording. a lot of times they sound tinny or muddy. are you recording directly from the sound board? or are you micing speakers? what's your setup?
and i'm gonna agree about the shure sm58. those are by far the most common vocal mics, and there's a reason for it.

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

to say the mic system was rudimentary would be a fair statement. everything was recorded through the sound card of a PC with a single mic for all, so I am sure from the responses that we need to some how get a better setup for recording.

Funny, I have never heard my voice recorded, so that was a strange experience.

Thanks for the replies.

KK

ReplyQuote
(@aussie-rocker)
Eminent Member

I speak for myself and experience.

I sing in a band and feel that I'm okay.

However, when we record and I hear my voice back, I hate it!

The others tell me it's good and that's what I actually sound like.

Most people hate the sound of their own voice. That's just the way it is.

And yes, a bit of echo will help for sure.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

"Aussie" is right about that the first times you here a recording of your voice you hate it.
But after getting used of the sound you will accept it as it is the way that everybody else hear your voice.
Doing song training with a mic and ear/headphones will help a lot.

Doing a fairly good "single" mic recording of a group is very difficult, nearly impossible.

You need a 6-8 channel analog mixer between the mics/electric instruments and line input of the PC soundcard to do a one take recording.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hello all,

Well, we did some tinkering by adding a little reverb as was suggested and it was much much better. Also, I have been trying different techniques with the mic itself and its proximity to my mouth and things have improved there as well.

We are still recording though a single mic, but the results have been better, so thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately, we are just not ready (new band poorness) to invest in more equipment at this point so it will have to suffice for now.

As Kalle and Aussie stated, my voice sounded almost forgein to me at first. At first I said to myself,"who in the hell is that!" Funny. Everyone tells me the sound is great and I am a great singer :oops: but I guess I suffer from some singer insecurity :lol:

Peace

ReplyQuote