Notifications
Clear all

High notes sound nasally?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@naivemelody)
Topic starter  

When I try to quickly move form my mid range to a high C (my range only goes up to a high C#) the note sounds nasally in my head. Is there some techniques I could use to help eliminate this?

Thanks.

(@hobson)
Noble Member

Here are a few thoughts. Do other people think you sound nasally? Have you tried recording yourself and listening to the recording? What you hear as the sound resonates in your head is not what other people hear.

Another thing is that you are probably straining to reach those notes at the top of your range, which causes you to close your throat, exactly the opposite of what you should be doing. Open your mouth wide. Don't try to sing the long e vowel or the short i vowel. Stick with "ah" and "eh" as much as possible. Even leave off some consonants if someone else is singing a lower part.

When you say that your range only goes to a high C#, do you mean that you can really sing up there or can you barely squeak it out even if you are already singing high in your range? Maybe C and C# are not really in your range.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@naivemelody)
Topic starter  

I can actually hit a C#. I can just barely "squeak out" a high D before going into falsetto.

ReplyQuote
(@soddit9)

smile like you are biting an apple and the sound will be pushed out evenly. looks funny on paper but give it a go.

ReplyQuote
(@molittr)

Something I read awhile back: Yawn. When your mouth is fully open(about midway through the yawn) the back of your throat is more open and nasal passages more closed. Imagine you are in mid-yawn when you hit the high notes and see.

ReplyQuote