Notifications
Clear all

I Need Your Advice....

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@xgirlanachronismx)
Topic starter  

Hey, I'm a newbie here, I was just wondering if some people could listen to the following clips of me singing, and give me some feedback. I play guitar and write songs, but I want to know whether I should bother getting my voice trained or if I should just stick to the music side of being in a band...any tips at all would be nice, just remember that I'm not claiming to be anything great here... :?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VC3E81R0
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=40LVVFZN

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

well not sure what your looking for here. Should you sing..Do you like to sing? then go for it.

It's tough singing accapella like you did so I'm sure it would sound much better if there was music it would sound much better.

Your voice isn't horrible or anything so I can't see any reason why with some guidance you couldn't develop it more.

Heart shaped box may not have been the best song to showcase your voice.. when I hear your voice I think of something more along the lines of Jewel.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@xgirlanachronismx)
Topic starter  

thanks for listening, lol, I know the song wasn't the best one to choose,those two were picked by my friends because we were trying to think of songs to cover, it was just using the basic sound recorder on the computer too, and we weren't sure how to add music to it.... :lol:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Havent even listened to the recording and I can answer your question because its not a matter of is my voice worthwhile or not. It is, as Cnev said, whether you want to be a singer or not. Voice is just like any other instrument and the more educated you get at it, and the more you practice it, the better it will become. Now, I am not going to get into the natural talent of it and all... but if you desire to sing then of course you should take some sort of train to hone your voice. Whether that is self study, concert choir, individual lessons..etc. you will benefit.

Now, off to listen to your recording. :D

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

What they said. :D

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@xgirlanachronismx)
Topic starter  

thanks for the advice, I think I was sorta asking the wrong question there, see I've been told I'm tone deaf and stuff, and I want to know more whether I should sing in front of other people and ask them to take me seriously rather than should i sing in general. I personally would love to sing and play at the same time in my band, but I'm not sure if people would love to hear me.... :lol: i know I'm no mariah carey (and hopefully, I never will be :wink: ) but I want to know if it's a good enough starting point if you get me.......

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I am so perplexed by megaupload that I can't concentrate anything else. How do I download?

Alright, have to collect my thoughts and in case you don't know, I didn't listen to your clips. You can certainly practice with out getting a voice coach, although a voice coach is far superior. In order to improve your singing you can't just sing songs, you need to practice scales. This will really help with pitching. You want to warm your voice up before you use it. I do push some, I don't have a vocal coach so I wouldn't know what level of pushing is ok, but I do know it is important to never strain for any notes. Things to keep in mind, always stay relaxed. Tensing up is one of the worse things you can do while singing. This is a great site to get you started: http://www.vocalist.org.uk/voicetraining.html . Just remember a vocal coach is the best way to go and everyone can sing. I use to think singing was something you had or you didn't and that's not true. Now back to megaupload - it will not defeat me!

EDIT: Doh, that was easy. I am a moron, gonna go listen.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

thanks for the advice, I think I was sorta asking the wrong question there, see I've been told I'm tone deaf and stuff, and I want to know more whether I should sing in front of other people and ask them to take me seriously rather than should i sing in general. I personally would love to sing and play at the same time in my band, but I'm not sure if people would love to hear me.... :lol: i know I'm no mariah carey (and hopefully, I never will be :wink: ) but I want to know if it's a good enough starting point if you get me.......

Who told you that you're tone deaf? I doubt it! I've heard many people say they are tone deaf or they can't carry a tune in a wash tub (I've said that one myself). It's not often true. The vast majority of people can learn to sing and sing well if they have the desire to do so. Now whether or not others will like to listen to you is up to others. You can't be concerned with that if you want to sing. Check out the link Purple posted, it's one of my favorites. If you can afford voice lessons get them. If not or in addition to join a choir or community chorus. You'll learn more just being around people that know how to sing than you would ever believe.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Took a listen and this is all I have to add. I agree that Heart Shaped Box is a definitely an interesting choice especially to do acapella but you have a good voice, definitely have potential. My first thought is to open your throat. Sounds like your holding back and I don't mean to sing louder. To the tone deaf comment (which I actually missed the first time around, must have been megaupload) - you can learn pitching. You certainly didn't sound tone deaf in your recording although I would say you need to work on your pitch (but honestly who couldn't). Truly tone deaf is rare. Record yourself, and make sure if you practice scales use an instrument that is perfectly in tune. Even use a chromatic tuner if you have one.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote