Clear all

Studio vs. Live

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've recently taken an interest in singing and have been checking out live performances of my favorite artists. Sometimes the difference between live vs. studio recording is tremendous. The singing in all the music I've bought on cd sounds so clean and precise. But live albums are certainly a different story. So how do you get "perfect" vocals in the studio? Is it merely repetition until it's nailed? Are there tricks I'm missing?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There is a machine that "corrects" vocals. Rumour has it that many of the current crop of teeny idols use this like some sort of musical instrument!
The output is said to be "clean and sterile" 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've heard about this mysterious wonderful machine, but I suggest that if it existed Musiciansfriend.com or zzounds.com would be selling them. So far I haven't found any such machine other than a harmonizers that offer some sort of pitch correction that allows you to fix a bum note or two. You some how enter the key of the song and I guess it tries to get your vocal lines close to the "correct" pitch. But if anyone can point me to a machine that would let a crappy singer sound pro, I'd be eternally greatful. But please don't flame me about this. The post was really a question about studio recording techniques I suppose. Maybe live recordings are sometimes way off because sometimes it's hard to hear on stage.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

You mean zsounds would sell something like this?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ANTAUTOTUNE
EDIT: There are others and some new recording software offer pitch correction. I think Adobe Audition is one. http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/overview2.html

Pitch correctors certainly do exist and are used way too often in modern recordings. I think the studio sounds different because of repeated singing of the same part, pitch correction, maybe overlaying vocals - if you listen, most pop songs today overlay several recordings of the pop tart's voice to get a fuller sound not just in the chorus but in the melody too. Sometimes parts are song by others or notes added in out of a person's range. Also in a live rock concert, singer may be running around, out of breath or really hyped up which would account for some of the difference. Why some people's tone is completely different, I dunno - must just be studio magic. I don't expect every note to be pitch perfect but a lot of times it is as if two different people sang the song. I find it really disappointing actually and wouldn't be something I would go for. I was listening to a Whitney Houston song the other day and I noticed some very slight (by today's standards would be) imperfections in her magnificent voice. They didn't sound bad, in fact it made her sound better because it had a real quality to it that todays vocals don't. So, work on what you have and appreciate your voice. You don't want it washed out by a computer program, it loses it's human element.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

A really talented singer will sound better live. But with a live show theres always a risk of them being sick and different equipment will sound different but a talented musician will still put on a good show and sound great even if its no sound for sound off the cd.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Pitch correctors certainly do exist

I never knew... Can I carry it too and use it in my Concert Choir class? I really stink compared to them DARN kids. :oops: :roll:

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That is amazing it can do it in real time! What a great tool.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote