Clear all

Lost cause?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Based on being told to "just hum" in grade school, I came to the conclusion that I do not have a natural singing voice. But I enjoyed singing so I badgered my teacher. Unfortunately she felt that the best way to explain any unclear point was to simply repeat it louder & angrier. I didn't react too well to that style of teaching.

Since that approach didn't work, I decided to figure this out on my own. I think I did a pretty decent job. By college I was able to sing in public and they didn't throw things at me. And, I even heard a few positive comments - 1 from a performing singer.

All of that was a lifetime ago.

A couple of decades later, and I got my belly full of my horrible teeth and replaced the uppers with a full denture. The best thing I ever did, until I discovered I could no longer sing. I was really shocked at how much the shape of the roof of my mouth changed while singing as opposed to just talking.

The problem being the roof of the mouth would change shape enough to break the vacuum holding the denture in place.

So, for that last 10 years or so, I've been trying to relearn how to sing while wearing my dentures, with very little success. I've tried everything I could think of, including using that (shudder) denture glue to hold them in place - actually, the glue was worse. I've improved my singing - when I'm not wearing my teeth. But once I put them in it all goes pear-shaped.

I'm thinking that I'm up against the wall here. I also don't expect that many of you (if any) have experienced this, but I'd certainly be happy to entertain any suggestions.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

(@hobson)
Noble Member

I read this when you first posted it and started to write a response. I didn't respond then because I certainly have never been in your situation and don't know anyone else who has. That's probably why nobody else has responded. All I could come up with is getting dental implants, talking about this with your dentist or maybe finding a dentist who sings. Those are pretty obvious suggestions, I suppose.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@khayes)

I'm new to the board and guitar playing but not singing. Been doing it all my life,lol. About 10 years ago I had to get a partial and while its not a full upper set it does have the whole roof of my mouth covered. I was concerned about getting them because of singing and told my dentist and what she told me is it has to be thin, so instead of making mine out of plastic or whatever they use she made mine out of metal, from the first day I put it in I never knew it was there. I didn't have the problems with talking at first that many people have when getting dentures or partials. Maybe you could have them checked and see if they could be made thinner?

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, both, for your replies. Sorry for the long-absence, but life takes some interesting turns now and again.

The dental implants were not a viable option when I got my dentures, and now the cost is a bit prohibitive. I've lost my gum-ridge which means more complex surgery.

I will definitely look into a thinner plate - that makes sense, thanks.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote