Clear all

Need more critiquing and some questions

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@oreochef)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've just learned Mad World, and have decided it's time to record myself again. I also used the recording tips that members here have given me since my last recording. I'm a bit pitchy in the beginning, I only listened to the whole thing after I was done recording, and I didn't want to go through the trouble of re-recording.

I am also worried that I might not be having a good technique, because I've read that vibrato comes from a comfortable, strainless vocal projection. I've also heard that vibrato develops after a certain age. I'm not so sure about the last thing, and I'm wondering if that is why I don't have a vibrato yet since I'm 15. Also, is head voice supposed to feel like a connection to chest voice? I've been trying to find my head voice, but I think I'm just going into falsetto every time.

Grapevine Fires is from two months ago. I would also appreciate if you guys could if there's anything I can improve on.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=908915

(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

There's only one thing that I'd note (and it's because I'm guilty of it :lol: ) -- you slide off the note rather than holding the note. Something that helps me is visualising that I am actually holding the note in the air, so I'm keeping it levitated with my energy... if my energy or support drops, the notes slide flat at the end.

Visualising helps me, so I hope that this make sense to you :mrgreen:

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@oreochef)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I wasn't aware that I was doing that. I don't really visualize or anything, but I'll give it a try. I want to develop my vibrato though. I seem to have run into a brick wall in improving my voice. I'm getting very frustrated. But thanks for listening.

ReplyQuote
(@law42)

Toward the beginning of the song you fall considerably flat in the middle of your phrases, especially on the higher notes such as "familiar faces, daily races," really listen to those pitches on the original recording and get them in your head, then find the pitch on a piano (or your guitar) and make sure you can match it for 4 beats or so without falling flat.

Angel also hit the nail on the head when she said you "slide off the note." This is especially evident at the ends of all of your phrases, like "going nowhere." If you break the last word into the three notes you hit it would look like these (and you can hear it in your head i'm sure) "no-wh-e-re." You hit the very last pitch for a split second, but after that the pitch goes away, but your voice is still going wherever it wants. It sounds like you're running out of breath or you're just letting your breath support go. If you find that you are running out of air, make sure you get a full breath before you start the phrase (when you take a full breath make sure not to tense up your shoulders, breathe from your diaphragm [if you want more information about this just send me a private message]).

If you don't think you're running out of air at the end of a phrase, then you just aren't thinking about it enough. If this is the case, while practicing, hold that last note out waaaaaay longer than you would if you were performing the song, and steadily decrease the duration of the note back to its original length when you think you're holding it well and on pitch (not falling flat).

Another problem I hear is one that soooooo many people are guilty of, and that's not hitting (or maybe not even worrying) the "in between" notes. The pitches on words such as "filling up" kinda get lost because you're concentrating so hard on the higher note, "all." Same thing with words "in which I'm" before "dieing." With these notes is also good to slow them down, play them on a piano and make sure you can sing them and match pitch with them for longer than you would if you performed the song.

Concerning your development of vibrato, it is necessary that you can sing every note on pitch and maintain breath support while doing so before you attempt any vibrato. The solutions I've mentioned above may sound boring and tedious, but practicing singing a song is much like practicing playing a song. If you've ever practiced a song or lick for a few days/weeks and felt frustrated, but very satisfied once you've mastered it, then you know how it will feel when you do the same thing with your voice.

I always like to pick out positive things in anything I listen to and here's what I found in your track: The harmonies that you made toward the end were very well done (although I wish you would've continued the very last one and let the melody resolve with the harmony rather than ending the harmony during the dissonance).

I hope this helps you, and if you have anymore questions just post them up here and I'll do my best to answer them :D

ReplyQuote
(@oreochef)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I see what you mean. So how should I practice the notes on the end of phrases, such as "going nowhere" and "no expression" and so on? Or does skill with phrasing and everything come with time as I practice? Also, on the higher notes, should I keep on repeatedly singing the notes until it becomes comfortable? Or should I just lower the key of the song. And are there any exercises that you have used or heard of that can increase lung capacity or control the air better? I find that I run out of a lot on long phrases of songs that I sing.

ReplyQuote
(@law42)

I would practice the ends of the phrases you mentioned just as I suggested practicing the "in between" notes. Find each individual note on piano or guitar, make sure you can match each pitch individually without going flat and then hold each individual note longer than normal when practicing, making sure to get each pitch right on and not fall flat. It's also much better to isolate the problem and fix it rather than running through the entire song and only concentrating on the end of one phrase. Practice a phrase until you get it down, then move on until you're comfortable and satisfied.

Should you practice hitting those high notes or lower the key? That's really up to you and what you think you are capable of doing. If you don't think you can do it at this time, then by all means lower the key and save your voice. If you think hitting the high notes comfortably and easily is a reasonable goal, make sure when you practice you aren't overdoing it. Don't anticipate the high note and tense up, stay relaxed throughout the entire phrase and it will sound better, you'll be surprised. Another thing that helps me is not thinking about reaching for that high note like you're trying to stretch and reach the top of a cliff, but thinking about it more like shooting a basketball, up and over the note. You shouldn't go sharp on the note, but you should think about landing on TOP of the note, rather than feeling like you are barely hitting it. Also, if you are practicing the high notes and your voice starts sounding gravely or tired, stop immediately and give it a rest, no good will come of practicing yourself hoarse.

Regarding you breathing, singing standing up will always give you more air than singing sitting down, but as you're playing guitar and singing, you probably practice sitting down (I certainly do). First of all practice sitting toward the front of your seat with your back straight and shoulders relaxed. Place your left hand on your stomach and take the largest breath you possibly can. If your stomach goes in and your chest puffs out while your shoulders move and tense up (most people will breathe like this) you aren't letting in as much air as possible. Make sure when you breathe your shoulders move as little as possible and try to get to the point where the air you take in is pushing what feels like your stomach (it won't actually be your stomach, but your diaphragm) out.

Again I hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions or tell me if something doesn't work for you :D

ReplyQuote
(@oreochef)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I think that's all I need for now. I have plenty to work on for the moment. But I just recorded a small segment of Let It Be, and I would like to know if anything improved on it. I'm not expecting anything monumental, but I might have remembered and improved.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=908915

One last thing, how do you think my voice is for this kind of music? (rock, ballads, that kind of stuff) And is my tone clear? Do I need to open my throat more? But thanks for the feedback and advice.

ReplyQuote