Clear all

Progress after almost a year...comments/help

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so I started to post here about 9-12 months ago (I think) regarding learning to sing, and I think I've made some decent progress, but still not where I thought I would be. It's been pretty encouraging to post these and try to incorporate feedback that I've received.

I don't have the time to take lessons, so my question, is it realistic to expect to get any better without them. I know it's harder to see where you are as far as breathing etc.

The problems I know I have are staying in key and on pitch. I seem to get comfortable with a section of a song, like the verse, but when going to the chorus or bridge, I can't seem to make the change. Also my I's and E's seem to waver alot still.

Below are two clips, one from about a year ago, and one that was posted just a week ago, any feedback would be much appreciated!

Clip 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDKAjXpig8o (there is a bunch of BS in the front, so just fast forward a bit)

Clip 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b38XQ6pttg4

Thanks again!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Hey,
I liked you're covers, and more importantly... I like you. Well done on the songs.

How have you been practicing over the year out of interest? And how do you think you have improved?

Before I give you any advice, I'd like to say I've never really had any formal lessons and what I've learned is self research and trial and error so I'm just trying to help :).

To me it sounds a little like you're having some pitch issues, that may be cause by a limited range. Does your larynx raise up when you try to go higher? And does the muscle under your jaw go all tense? I find it does for me, but I always sound best (imo) when I am able to relax these muscles.

To do this I try and think very hard about placement, where exactly I am directing the air... as we go higher it only makes sense that it goes higher in our heads right. I often do sirens (going from the bottom of my range to the top) in my warm up, but I try to put my fingers on this muscle under my chin to make sure I am not tensing the muscle. Sometimes I have to start very gently but it seems to help as I warm up.

Also I always try and really get my breathing in check before I sing, it really is essential. I always lie down on my back, breathe in slowly through my nose for 8 seconds, breathing deeply to my stomach and then hold it for 4 seconds, then slowly let the air out evenly for as long as I can sustain. Doing this for about 5 minutes, really helps me concentrate and seems to open up my voice.

I hope any of this helps. But keep on singing, I think you have great potential and like the songs :).

FYI

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply!

Here's what I've been doing/practicing.

1.) Tried NOT to sound like the original artist, I found my self falling into that trap alot.

2.) Relaxing was a big part of it, and trying to get into the music and not really seeing the "Camera" or thinking wow, this better be good I'm in front of a camera.

3.) Using tips on breathing from the forum, and getting used to the whole soft pallet thing, that took a long time to get used to.

4.) Before I would play and sing at the same time, I would sing the song acapella, and try to find bad areas and work around them by changing my breathing or diaphragm.

5.) I think that before when I was singing, my voice wasn't strengthened, and after this amount of time I think my vocal chords have gotten stronger if that's possible. Before it was kind of painful after a few takes, but now it's not so much.

I quit practicing scales because I really can't tell an A from a C by ear so just went with what sounded flat or out of tune/pitch.

Hope this helps! I haven't done any formal lessons, I just don't have the time, but I try to work on things when I can with what help I do get.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote