(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

:(

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I havent listened to either of the VIDs yet. I am at work so its not possible, but just from what you have written there are a few points.

Probably your worst problem is confidence and all these people telling you that you cant sing isnt going to help that. When you start singing and you are already nervous, you gut is all clinched up and it restricts your air. No air, no sing. Your throat is probably tight and you probably arent even sure that the note you hear in your head is the note that is going to come out. Practice and time will help you a lot. Also, be careful of who you ask for opinions until you get to the point that you dont care so much for their opinion.

Next, you say that you have a cold/infection/etc and that is going to hurt anyones singing abilities.

You sang to an out of tune instrument. I would suggest not doing that. :)

I'll take a listen to both when I get home. Provided my memory doesnt fail me... AGAIN :oops:

Jim

PS: I know this thread is ages old but it struck me as something I wanted to reply too.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Crub, listen to Geoo's advice. He has taken professional singing lessons and is a good singer.

Sing with me, {sing}, sing for the years
{Sing it}, sing for the laughter, sing for the tears, {c'mon)
Sing it with me, just for today, maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you

- Sing for the moment by Eminem (I like Aerosmith's one better.)

ReplyQuote
(@general-savage)
Eminent Member

Crub,

The video has moved so I can't hear it, but I don't think that matters much.

Singing is made up of many different things, there is singing on pitch, rhythm, phrasing, breathing, placement, resonance just to name a few. When people say, 'you can't sing' that's not very helpful because it doesn't tell you anything about what might be wrong and so Geoo is right when he says be careful who you ask for advice.

To become a good singer you have to work on each of the elements to develop your skill. Just like any other skill worth having, it isn't developed easily and has to be worked on, just like playing guitar. If you can get lessons, then you can shorten the learning curve considerably.

It sounds like pitch is an immediate issue. Always know the starting note of your songs and hear it in your head before singing it. Think of the melody or scale notes and concentrate on matching them accurately. You might need to concentrate very hard at first. You could also play some scales or a melody on a piano or guitar and match the notes one by one.

Don't try singing songs that are too complicated until you are ready for them. Sing songs with simple and obvious melodies and make sure you get thyem absolutely right. Poor breathing could make it very difficult to sing in tune so check this out.

Hope this helps.

General Savage

ReplyQuote
(@crub05)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey guys...thanks ever so much for the comment

People seem to not be able to view the new video that I posted about...so....its here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1dYVHrlafs

thank you all again

x

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Crub, dude. Thats really not half bad. Sorry it took me so long to get out there to check it out.

Hey, there are couple things I noticed. First, your mouth is nearly closed while you are singing. Thats going to make you sing out your nose. The more the mouth is closed, the more out the nose and that makes you sound nasally. Secondly, you are waiting until the very last second to breath and when you do you are breathing into your chest. I can tell cause I see your shoulder rise. If you breath properly, your shoulders wont rise and instead your gut will expand. Atleast that is the best way I can describe it. Third, you are all tensed up. I can see the intensity on your face, relax.. just relax.

Seriously, even with those things I noticed I was much more impressed than I though. If you relaxed and let go.. you would rock dude.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Crub,

Just listened to about 20 secs of the video you just posted....and I can't sing either but your singing is not that bad at all, I think you just need a little work and you'd be fine.

sorry i can't get any more specific but I've heard alot worse.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@general-savage)
Eminent Member

OK, most of that is in tune and on pitch. You should not be put off by other peoples comments and I think you have the potential to become a good singer just like anyone else. But you will have to put the work in. I will give you a couple of tips that I think will help:

1) You need to be careful towards the end of phrases where it sometimes tends to drop off and the pitch falters due to lack of breath. Support your breath and work hard to keep the ends of the phrases up. Work hard to do this if necessary.

2) The other thing is you appear to be singing in a quiet voice, or in a 'small' voice as they say. I think you need to put much more volume into it to start exercising your voice properly. Practising in a small voice doesn't get things moving and working well.

If you can integrate these two ideas into your practice then you will make fast progress over the coming months. Your voice will improve beyond recognition.

Frank

General Savage

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2