Clear all

Sore throat question

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lacoocoo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

When i start singing i feel fine and i'm not straining anything( i think) After about 10 minutes of sining my throat gets a little sore and my voice starts to sound different , it starts to sound less raspy and solid and more faint. I'll take a drink of water and a minute break and then i'm back to normal. What am i doing wrong?

(@llynix)
Eminent Member

Well it is a muscle, which will get sore. Practice will strengthen it and you'll be able to sing longer. In the meantime, drink that water as often as you can. If you ever watch live bands the singer allways has a bottle of water and is chugging it down continuously.

You may also try singing a little softer while turning up your mike.

Llynix

One man, one guitar, one website, one ditty a day. - http://onedittyaday.com

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

forcing an unnatural singing style will also have this affect, 10 minutes isn't very long to have a drastic change in strength or timbre.
i've seen people wreck their throat after a short time of straining to do things on the edge of their range/ability
warming up is also very important (especially in the winter)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@handelfan)
Eminent Member

You used the words "raspy" and "solid" in the same sentence as both meaning good characteristics. Unless your voice just has a natural rasp (which I really believe to be uncommon if someone is singing correctly) I wouldn't try and have that in there, because as was already said, trying to force an unnatural effect in your voice is just bad.

Maybe you like that sound. But to be honest, a lot of famous singers who have that type of voice don't end up singing their whole lives, because their voice has been wrecked. And even with serious coin for getting vocal nodules removed with laser surgery, the vocal chords are never the same.

I am where my mind put me.

ReplyQuote
(@lacoocoo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Forget what i said about the raspy part hah. But when i'm singing it sounds like my natural voice...So if i'm singing properly is it still normal for your throat to feel alittle sore and tender like that (giving the description above)?

ReplyQuote