Clear all

Throat Question (vocal spray)

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@lacoocoo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've giving singing a go for bit. I'll practice on a keyboard and hum some notes to get warmed up alittle but once i try to sing an "ahhhhhh" i can't get the note to sound clear , i have my mouth wide open, face and throat is relaxed, breathing with my diaphram and all that... but it feels like i always have to clear my throat like i have a build up of flem or something. Would this vocal spray help clear my throat or is that just a scam?

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Am I missing something, what vocal spray? Everyone has a certain amount of congestion most of the time. If you constantly have to clear your throat, you may need to see an ear, nose and throat doctor. I personally go through bags of sugar free Eucalyptus/Menthol cough drops, they help me. Anything that keeps your throat moist and lubricated helps.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thats good advice Tim. If you are prone to alergies then you'll get that congestion stuff in your throat. Also, you didnt mention if you are a smoker or not but if you are or you are around smoke then it can be a problem too.

I dont know what spray you are talking about either but it would be better to find out what the cause of the problem is instead of masking it... if that is what this spray does.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Menthol sweets work for me, although I need to drink water afterwards so that my throat doesn't dry out 5 minutes later. Gargling luke-warm salt water is supposed to be good preparation too, but someone (here I think) said it'll also clear your throat a little.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it could just be the shape of your head. try beating it against a brick wall.

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

I want to sing too but I have some sinus issues. I will look into those drops though!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I want to sing too but I have some sinus issues. I will look into those drops though!

I am no doc but you might want to look at a sinus wash at your local drug store. It is over the counter and rather nasty to do (My girlfriend has to use it) but it helps clean out her sinus'

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

it could just be the shape of your head. try beating it against a brick wall.

WTH? I sprayed coffee on my keyboard after reading that.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@lacoocoo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Clear-Voice-Vocal-Spray?sku=430130&src ="3SOSWXXA"

this is the spray i'm talking about

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I have never heard such a thing. I would be wary of it. The reviews that were given seem very umm... canned. My daddy used to say.. if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

this is the spray i'm talking about

I think the Eucalyptus/Menthol cough drops would do the same thing at a lot better price. I get the sugar free generic type at Walmart. And again if you're constantly having to clear your throat I'd get it checked out.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

i have a problem not really like yours.....

:D

dunno, but sometimes i get what i call 'cobwebs' in my throat. particularly if i havent sung for a week or have had a cold etc beforehand. its not flem but it feels like theres, like i said 'cobwebs' crackling in there, it stuffs up your falsetto and is particularly annoying if your singing softly as your voice gets hung up on notes that you can normally sing. what i do (works for me just dont hurt yourself) is to warm up for longer than usual then really get stuck into some songs when no ones around, not worrying about control but just power. dont scream but let your voice go fully. after this my voice is fine and it doenst worry me with pain or cobwebs for quite a while.

ReplyQuote