Notifications
Clear all

Free slide

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@unquashable)
Topic starter  

I've spent a little time browsing guitar forums relating to slide guitar, reading a variety of threads pertaining to making and buying slides, and thought it time to throw in my two cents. I play slide on both my 12-string seagull and my 6-string electric. When I first decided to learn some slide I set about looking for something to use as a slide. I looked in the local music store, and at the time they only had one ceramic slide (its a small store). Whats more it was priced at about $20! I thought I might make myself a slide out of a bottle, but had trouble locating a bottle with a straight and consistently round neck. So, I walked down to the local hardware store and had an employee their cut me a 2 1/2 inch long piece of 3/4" (inside diameter) copper pipe. After de-burring the lips, I threw it on my pinky finger and started sliding away. It works fantastic, sounds great, and best of all the man at the hardware store didn't even bother charging me for it.

So, if you are a cheapskate like me, and want a great (and easy to find) slide, I recommend taking a trip to your local hardware store.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's fun to experiment with different things for slides!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

My first slide I cut from a old chromed faucet pipe.....it worked great! :D

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A friend has an awesome slide that was the chromed knob on the end of the handle on an ancient refrigerator.

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member

I've spent a little time browsing guitar forums relating to slide guitar, reading a variety of threads pertaining to making and buying slides, and thought it time to throw in my two cents. I play slide on both my 12-string seagull and my 6-string electric. When I first decided to learn some slide I set about looking for something to use as a slide. I looked in the local music store, and at the time they only had one ceramic slide (its a small store). Whats more it was priced at about $20! I thought I might make myself a slide out of a bottle, but had trouble locating a bottle with a straight and consistently round neck. So, I walked down to the local hardware store and had an employee their cut me a 2 1/2 inch long piece of 3/4" (inside diameter) copper pipe. After de-burring the lips, I threw it on my pinky finger and started sliding away. It works fantastic, sounds great, and best of all the man at the hardware store didn't even bother charging me for it.

So, if you are a cheapskate like me, and want a great (and easy to find) slide, I recommend taking a trip to your local hardware store.
When I started playing blues guitar, I had just watched the movie Crossroads, with Ralph Maccio, my father worked at an exhibit builder place. And my first slide was like that, a piece of copper pipe that is. I later traded it in for a red wine bottleneck, because my hands sweat a lot. And every time I finished playing slide, my pinky was green.

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've played a lot with a Dunlop #224 brass slide, and regard a green finger as a happy sign of a good time playing!

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member

Thats a good way to look at it. :D

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote