Clear all

Hound Dog Squareneck

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Saw an Asian-made Gibson/Dobro Hound Dog Squareneck and was surprised at how the prices have dropped on these -- from $700 or $800 a few years ago, to only a little over $300 now for the laminated "worn" finish. Anyone got the skinny on these? Worth the very low price? Need a resonator upgrade or reinforcing as did older Asian resos?

-=tension & release=-

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Can't speak to that one, but about a year ago I bought a Musicians Friend Rogue Spider roundneck for $140 off a "Stupid Deal of the Day." I'm quite impressed with it. Doesn't need any sort of upgrading. Cheap Chinese stuff is getting much better than it used to be.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't discount Chinese-made, as I work in an industry that has Asian design and manufacturing partners. But the end product is highly dependent upon a firm commitment to quality by the commissioning company (v. good = PRS, Reverend, some Fender lines, while iffy or variable = store house brands, low end Epi), plus coming up the learning curve to a point of acceptability. really wondering if Gibby has gotten the Hound Dog line to that point.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't know. They certainly have quality control issues with their American made guitars.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Don't know. They certainly have quality control issues with their American made guitars.

bingo!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I'm not familiar with this model, but I would suspect upgrading the cone, saddle and nut would work wonders..

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiblues)

I've played a couple in local music stores and they are not to bad despite the negative stuff on the net.
They are well built and have a good dobro sound. The volume is not as good as my Gold Tone but you could also put in a Beard cone to upgrade if you wanted to.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thanks, guys

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I love squrenecks. I have a National Model D. awesome guitar.
I have played all thre dobros hanginmg on the wall at GC. Fender is the worse.
Goldtone was a lot better.
the Hounddog was interesting. it had good feel and looks. the sound was lacking. I find that with many non National brands.
the workmanship was good. perhaps an upgraded cone would help.
for the money i guess they all are akll right.
I gotta say that I am spoiled or maybe even snobbish.
:oops:

Nationals rule.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Nationals also = $$$$$$$$$$$$$, as do "real" Dobros. the Hound Dog line bears a Gibson/Dobro marque ... but for $350, what would I expect? couldn't have much of a resemblance to an actual Dobro, now could it? but I'd heard the quality of Chinese cones has been on the rise, so ...

FWIW, I wouldn't touch a budget Fender reso based on my experience with Fender's low cost banjo line.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

gnease, yeah, there is a $$$$$difference. I was hesitant to reply with my post. I qualified it though.

for the money, I prefer Hound dog over the Beard Goldtone. the Goldtones sound weak.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiblues)

Can't agree with that I'm afraid.
:roll: The Gold Tone I own is the solid mahogony cutaway and it has an amazing sound.
Every bit as loud as my National Style O and of course the increased sustain of a spider compared with a biscuit.
If you go on the net you won't find to many negative comments about the Gold Tones.
I'm definitely not a guitar snob after purchasing this instrument which was a third of the price of my National which I also love to bits!!gnease, yeah, there is a $$$$$difference. I was hesitant to reply with my post. I qualified it though.

for the money, I prefer Hound dog over the Beard Goldtone. the Goldtones sound weak.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

The Gold Tone I own is the solid mahogony cutaway and it has an amazing sound.

Agreed. Except I don't own one anymore.... :oops:

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

so ... back to the usual sage advice (that I also give to others): go to the store, play, compare.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote