Notifications
Clear all

Musicians Friend have resos on sale..

32 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'll help everyone out by steering clear. I just don't like the sound of mahogany.

I do however like the sound of my solid brazilian rosewood backed guitar with ivory nut and saddle when played with a genuine tortise shell pick.

Callous? Me? No way. I got my guitar stool without the baby seal fur seat cover.

I'm going to throw that guitar in the back of my Hummer when I cruise up to the Riverside Jam.

Is it hot in here? Someone crank up the AC the thermostat says it's 72, which savage set it up so high?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I see, that is what you call "The American Way of Life".... :?:

no, just the wonderful shallowness of me i guess. besides this is all moot when the gamepad guitars take over...

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I see, that is what you call "The American Way of Life".... :?:

Nope it's called the real world. Welcome. I'm British - English - by the way, so maybe it's just my natural cynicism shining through. Maybe someone like Jerry Garcia can afford to give a hoot, but your average 16-year-old spotty-faced wannabee guitar hero doesn't care.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mr-mojo)

So maybe he should. Maybe you and me should. In fact everbody should.
I already noticed that you're british. So take a look at Gloucester and London. That will now happen continuously...So I think It could might be important to care about such things. What do you think Vic?

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wow...hope I didnt start a international war... :shock:
I just wanted to alert anyone looking to get a cheap reso , my perception of a good deal.

You can buy Mahogany or not..... My Tele is ash and maple...My Godin Freeway Classic is poplar and maple..
My Ovation is composite... My Rogue reso is Metal..and mahogany neck...not my choice, just what it came with.

Life is short. Pick your battles wisely.

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

ReplyQuote
(@mr-mojo)

@SlickCat: Don't worry. It's just some people talking about guitars. :wink:

I don't want to accuse somebody of something. But I think everybody should be aware of the consequences of the things he do.
It just started with a simple question, rememer?

A custom made guitar is the solution...but who can afford that?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Actually it isn't, but I'm letting it slide.

Oh, I kill me sometimes, resonator - slide.

Okay it wasn't funny at all.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

what are your guitars made of?
pot meet kettle :roll:

Mod lock coming soon i think.... :twisted:

this has gone waaaaay of topic, so i will offer OT advice as well. become one with the spell checker.
i use iespell. http://www.iespell.com/ it's free!
proper spelling and punctuation adds a weight to your posts that just can't be rivaled.

*this has been a public service announcement* (carbon footprint approved by algore)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

So screaming back to topic, has anyone played one of these?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

So screaming back to topic, has anyone played one of these?

Good question. While a servicable electric can be had for $99 USD, I'm skeptical of a $150 reso, as it's a structurally more complex beast. Not enough are resos are sold to make it worth doing a good quality cost-down design.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

So Ricochet did you post pics and instructions on how you upgraded your johnson?

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

The resos on sale can be made reasonably useable with a new spider, cone and bridge- add about $100 and 2 hours work and it will sound pretty good for a backup. You can get one for less, but it won't sound as good as the upgraded Johnson. Email me if you want detailed directions for correctly installing the upgraded parts, as well as part numbers to order them from Stewart-McDonald. I have done 4 of these and have most of the kinks worked out.

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The resos on sale can be made reasonably useable with a new spider, cone and bridge- add about $100 and 2 hours work and it will sound pretty good for a backup. You can get one for less, but it won't sound as good as the upgraded Johnson. Email me if you want detailed directions for correctly installing the upgraded parts, as well as part numbers to order them from Stewart-McDonald. I have done 4 of these and have most of the kinks worked out.

This model Johnson is a biscuit bridge. If it has the newer type cone it should sound pretty good .
Cant hurt to upgrade to a national cone and biscuit tho.... 8)

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

Right you are, I hadn't even looked- most of the ones they make available at that price are regular dobros. This is a great deal, IMO. Even without the upgraded parts it will be a decent instrument. Wish I had some money, I'd get 2 or 3 to set around the house in different tunings.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Right you are, I hadn't even looked- most of the ones they make available at that price are regular dobros. This is a great deal, IMO. Even without the upgraded parts it will be a decent instrument. Wish I had some money, I'd get 2 or 3 to set around the house in different tunings.

you hear very often about cheap bridges on this price range of instrument.
is this one really worth having just as it is for somebody to start learning some slide on?

i would seriously consider getting one of these if i was confident that it would play/sound ok without having to shell out any more to upgrade it.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3