Clear all

10:16 New And Improved! Aloha is Hawaiian For The Blues

22 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I re-recorded this today with just one ukulele. I need to play it at an open mic next weekend and I can only play one uke at a time. This is the full version. Comments welcome.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11497519

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Great job! Definitely sounds a lot cleaner as an arrangement with just the single uke. Do you feel comfortable enough with it to combine some of the picking of the instrumental section with some of the stumming with the verses? Mixing the straight strumming with some occasional picking in the verses will possibly add a bit of depth to it.

Neither here nor there but have you considered moving the instrumental to come after the second verse? It's silly but placing it between the first and second verses gives the listener the feeling the song goes on longer than it does, especially since you tag on the chorus to the instrumental. Just a thought.

Your open mic is in for a great song!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

:D Sounds great! Good job!

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

..... Do you feel comfortable enough with it to combine some of the picking of the instrumental section with some of the stumming with the verses? .....
.....you considered moving the instrumental to come after the second verse? ........

.......Your open mic is in for a great song!

Peace

MY playing is improving but still rudimentary. The fact that I can sing and strum at the same time amazes people that really know me.

At first I did the two verses, then instrumental. I liked this sound better. I may end up trying to pick out the chorus on the instrumental verse. We'll see if time allows me to figure one out and learn it.

Thanks for the compliment. It's certainly different from anying else I've done and pushes my vocal range a lot higher.

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

:D Sounds great! Good job!
Thanks James. I write songs and make these recordings so I have something original to do at open mics. Doing the songs live is a blast.

I signed up to do the "Make Music Chicago" again on the Sumer Solstice. "Make Music" is an international event that you might want to look into.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

This is great! Reminds me of Warren Zevon's 'The Hula Hula Boys' :D

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is great! Reminds me of Warren Zevon's 'The Hula Hula Boys' :D

I love Zevon's writing , playing and voice. I had never heard this song before, it certainly goes further into the story than my little ditty. I think his song was written about a true life experience where my was a fictional tale.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2