Clear all

SSG 6/Week 23 Identity Theft

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ccourtney)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Here is one which I sat down and wrote in about 15 minutes but then set aside and never finished. It started as a challenge from a friend to write a song containing the phrase "There's never a bad time
For the truth to come out" -maybe something others will want to try since its a pretty thought provoking place to start from.

It still needs some polish and, an additonal verse or two, etc but I'm hitting a wall on this one. Groove is somewhere between a Neil Young protest song and a Glen Hansard sound - not sure. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Identity Theft

Can you call it identity theft
When you give it away?
Bit your lip
Let them roll over you
Day after day
When its finally gone to far
Will you remember who you are
And what you
Stood for?

Did you let them erase
Who you are
And what you want?
Replaced it with a mortgage
And lots of stuff?

Now what have you got to show
Do you have an opinion
Can you say no?
What's left of you
But your name?

When's the last time
You stood up to shout?
There's never a bad time
For the truth to come out
Don't be afraid to
Step to the brink
Don't worry what
The neighbors think
If you believe you've got
To let them know

Interlude…

Can you call it identity theft
When you give it away?
Bit your lip
Let them roll over you
Day after day
Now you've got to stand and shout
Don't be ignored
You still count
There's never a bad time
For the truth to come out

Copyright Chris Courtney 2008

http://www.myspace.com/courtneychris

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

This is a seriously kewl tune, congrats! I like the way you worked the couplet about the truth coming out into the song....I think a common tendency would be to start the piece with this line, but its so strong there's a good chance of the tune going downhill lyrically from there. You've done it justice, both by its placement and by conjouring up other lines and images that are equally strong.

And the dual-meaning of "identity theft" is brilliant. :mrgreen:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hej chris :)

when i first read the title, i missed a couple of letters and though it was called "identify theft" :wink:
looks like a good song :D i can hear glen hansard doing this. (the part about the neighbours and the shout out parts made me think of the sound of "say it to me now")
i don't know about another verse... what would you want to bring in? it already covers pretty much of the issues.. i can't think of anything now..

wish i could be of more help to you :wink:
i like your song.
cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@ccourtney)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your comments! I started on a few more songs and forgot about this one...

I'm still not sure if its too preachy or about right. I wrote it as a wake-up call for someone in particular (who drank a full glass of the "fit in at all costs" koolade) but don't want to come across like some monkey chattering from a tree.

If anything, I may massage the last verse and tweak the melody I had in mind. We'll see.

Ciao,

Chris

http://www.myspace.com/courtneychris

ReplyQuote