Clear all

SSG Week 20 - Song For Straycat - * New MP3*

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I tried to capture all that is original and poetic that is Straycat. I don't think I succeeded too well, but here is my attempt at free associating:

I have added an MP3 of just the melody line today to give an idea of what I think this song could be:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=701299

Sliding into the watercolor ocean
Transparent sun staring me down
Laughing at the waves as they come
Can't hear even a shell sound

Time appeared to disappear
The water was warm and clear

Delicate shapes breathe the content of today
Color fields vibrate in a downpour of thought
Gulls circle but they don't care to stay
I don't sense the danger that I've been taught

Time appeared to disappear
The water was warm and clear

(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I think you've done as well as anyone can with Straycat's unique style. Good Job!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think my line length is too even!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I tried to capture all that is original and poetic that is Straycat. I don't think I succeeded too well, but here is my attempt at free associating:

That's OK - you get at least 10 bonus points for even trying! Actually, I think you came pretty close....some very nice use of imagery. There's a feeling of peacefulness and tranquility 'that's conveyed throughout the song. You should definitely keep this one!
I think my line length is too even!

Definitely! Straycat doesn't seem to have any fixed structure in mind - if there's an image she wants to convey, she won't care how many words, lines or even verses it takes. For someone whose main language isn't English, she puts us all to shame, doesn't she!

I know how hard it is to copy her particular style - it was my first thought. I thought of a subject - she mentioned she was reading "The Book Thief" which I've recently read, (and thoroughly enjoyed - I'd recommend it to anyone!) and tried to convey the power, the importance and the imagery of the written word with particular reference to the book itself and the characters. I failed miserably!

Anyway, once again, nice writing!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hey pearl :lol:

thank you for choosing me! i will comment more later on, coz right now i've got to catch a train, but so much for now: thumbs up from me :D

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Pearl,

I think you did well at capturing Straycat's unique style.
It is a little more concise most of her stuff but I've read
stuff of her that is very much like this.

Good Job

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

here i am once more, different city, same joy :D

there's definitely a lot in your song that feels like home for me. the childish happiness, the "watercolor ocean" (wow!, love it), the downpour of thoughts (i did once write about "a downpour of leaving-thoughts"- so, you really got me!)...
and i am also very fond of "time appeared to disappear".

as for your line lengths.. yes, mine often tend to be a bit more chaotic. not on purpose though, so no problem there. and there are a lot of rhymes in here, which looked unfamiliar at first, but then i realized that i have songs like that, too.
the only thing i don't quite get is the "taught" line... if i may ask, what does it hold besides the rhyme? is it: "don't go too far, don't go where the water is deep"?

thank you very much pearl!
this song makes me happy.
if you ever record this, please tell me. must be fun to sing.
cheers,
straycat.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The danger here, is not a real danger of something that is about to happen but more of something that could happen. i thought of this person as being alone is a secluded place which could be thought of as dangerous, like travelling alone. this person was engaged in a pleasurable activity so doesn't think of what they're doing as being particulary dangerous but if something happened no one is around to help. in this story the person is in the moment and not aware that anything could go wrong. it could be something small, like a flat tire and no way to get home it doesn't have to be drastically dangerous.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

like your explanation and love the melody!
if you don't mind i would like to hear your idea of where the words fall on which notes... so i can sing along more properly :D
(well right now i can't really sing as my voice is gone, but as soon as it's back :wink: )

cheers,
straycat

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i'll do it as soon as i can. i wanted to post the melody because i don't know when i'll get the time to really finish this song. maybe over the weekend. but then sunday we have another assignment!

i also changed a couple of words, "content" is now "spirit" and "downpour" is now "shower."

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

no hurry, take your time :wink:
the replacements sound good.

cheers,
straycat.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

this MP3 is probably better... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=701299

ReplyQuote