Clear all

SSG Wk 23 Me Darwin, you Tracy

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dr-w-g-grace)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I originally did this as a reply to the question. Silly me.

First time here, folks. Not sure the editing and refining processes are entirely finished, or that ithis is clear enough to give you a handle on what's happening here (an occasional problem with me). Let me know if this is a problem.

A couple of clarifications. I had the idea for this before I saw it here, thanks for kick-starting me into doing something with it

Though it's written in first person, I'm not the actual narrator. The narrator is female, and it does indeed describe a real situation.

There are a couple of Australian references in there that might be a touch mysterious to denizens of other lands. Tracy is the cyclone of that name that devastated Darwin, capital of the Northern Territory on Christmas Eve 1974, with huge damage and many fatalities. Blunnies are Blunstones, an iconic Australian brand of work boot. The iconic status is something of a mystery to me, I reckon they're bloody awful.

Enough circumlocution, here it is.

ME DARWIN, YOU TRACY
The day's been fine,
The night is calm and clear
No abnormal weather conditions
Are forecast here
Blunnies on the stairs
And a knock on the door
And I know the hurricane
Will soon begin to roar

I have my share of wisdom
The experience of years
I'm not a stupid person,
And yet I fear
It's all gonna be reduced to tooth-picks,
Same as before
By the hurricane
When it begins to roar

Could be the books that, unlike you,
I haven't had time to read
Could be that I don't make my mind up forever
At supersonic speed

I'm not specifically a target,
It's more like I'm not even there
I like conditional, subjunctive, interrogative,
Moods for which you don't much care
You make me feel like Darwin,
Christmas Eve of '74
And I'll stop being at home to you,
You'll have to find another place to roar

Go Deeeeeees, bury this rubbish.

(@redrider)
Eminent Member

A hearty welcome to you Dr. Grace.

Interesting song, thanks for explaining the references, I would never have figures out what blunnies meant. The line"No meteorological disturbances" seems to be a bit of a mouthful. I hope the situation worked out for the actual people involved.

Once again welcome, will be looking for you next week.

Hey!! Who moved my cheese???

They say that only 1 song in 100 is good!?! I think I need a lot more scratch paper!!!

ReplyQuote
(@dr-w-g-grace)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Redrider
Thanks for the welcome and the feedback. You're absolutely right about meteorological disturbances, when I came to the business of getting music for this - the words always come first for me, though I'd like to try some other ways too - it quickly became apparent that that line is unsingable at any speed, at any time signature, in any key. It's been changed accordingly. When the process of editing is done with, I'll put the final version up.

As for the situation, still a bit of a work in progress, I fear. Ah well, like the man said, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I hope to be back next week, and others, too. Thanks again.

Cheers
WG

Go Deeeeeees, bury this rubbish.

ReplyQuote
(@nocturne181)
Trusted Member

The greatest thing about this ong is that it has that "hook".
"Me Darwin, you Tracy" is a catchy line. It also has a sort of interesting upbeat twist on the event at the start of the song, I like it.

"Do you serve a purpose, or purposely serve?" Corey Taylor

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

yes remember that christmas eve vividly , man didn't that cyclone cause some terror and damage my brother in-law was based in Darwin at the time no-one knew what happened to him if he was alright or not but when everything seetled down he was ok .

Brought back many disturbing images for me but I think you have a nice song here and I hope others who didn't know what havoc this caused can understand your piece.

" You make me feel like Darwin,
Christmas Eve of '74 "

thats awsome well done

cheers
L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Great title, very good song to go with it....if this is still a "work in progress" I´d love to hear the finished version....

So "Blunnies" are the Australian equivalent of Doc Martens here in England - legendary status, about as comfortable and good-looking as the boots worn by Frankenstein´s monster.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote